Taking the MCAT again..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bagh77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Omar

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Since you took it already and did decent there is no reason to take it again. Get the EK books and be disciplined about studying. If you master the EK books then you should be able to do extremely well.

Since you took it already and did decent there is no reason to take it again. Get the EK books and be disciplined about studying. If you master the EK books then you should be able to do extremely well.

IMO if you retake with a 30, you want to show some big improvement (like 3+ points) for it to be worth it, since a 30 itself is a solid score. That said, I would definitely get access to the Kaplan online again. If for no other reason, they have all the AAMCs for free, and kaplan FLs 1-5 are solid. I think for PS section TBR has really good practice problems and explanations, and for bio/orgo the Examkrackers review book is good for conceptual understanding.

Hello all,
I did the MCAT last year (30Q) and I am redoing it this year. Last year I used the Kaplan program (thinking that I could retake the course if i did bad- however I didn't read the fine print and didn't tell them that I wanted to retake the course 90 days after I took the exam.) Right now I'm kind of stuck in-between redoing the course (only online portion though-the in class portion was pretty much useless i though), or just buying exam kracker books combined with studying off my old Kaplan books.. What do you guys think? Any advice on what I should do? Should I just get the AAMC exams for the full lengths?

Thanks in Advance
If you do want to take the kaplan courses again and you missed your 90 day period you can call them and get a really discounted rate on the online class or tutoring in personal subjects

Members don't see this ad :)
a 30 is really good! why do you wanna retake?
anyway, don't shell out another 2K. buy examkrackers and focus on what you wanna improve.

IMO if you retake with a 30, you want to show some big improvement (like 3+ points) for it to be worth it, since a 30 itself is a solid score. That said, I would definitely get access to the Kaplan online again. If for no other reason, they have all the AAMCs for free, and kaplan FLs 1-5 are solid. I think for PS section TBR has really good practice problems and explanations, and for bio/orgo the Examkrackers review book is good for conceptual understanding.

I agree that you have to improve a lot for it to be worth it but I don't think the Kaplan courses are designed for high scores but rather to help people get decent scores. I'm not a fan of the Kaplan material at all and I strongly believe the way to the high 30s is simply with the EK books (or BR but I've never seen them). If you can get a discount on it though, it may be worth it to have access to the AAMCs and some of the practice content but as you can tell, I'm not a fan of courses in general.

Also, a 30 isn't "really good". It's really the minimum score you need to have a decent shot at US MD schools, unless you have some special things going for you.