1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Taking the MCAT before all prereqs?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by premedmom, Mar 17, 2004.

1. premedmom

premedmom Junior Member

HI,
    I am a nontrad Finance major who does sciences when I can fit them in my schedule (I am also a wife, mom of a todler and work full time). I am graduating spring 2005 and will still have to take a bio elective, genetics and the second half of physics. I plan on taking these during the summer 2005. Is it unrealistic to take the MCAT in April 2005 without yet having done these courses?
    Thanks for any input, it is greatly appreciated!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Apparition

Apparition 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I don't think MCAT requires bio knowledge beyond the required general biology. If you study physics II on your own, you'd probably be okay if this is the only classes you'll be missing.

4. MrTee

MrTee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

It is certainly possible to take the mcat without having taken the courses. Whether you'll do as well as if you had taken them first is another question. If it is only the second half of physics and genetics you're missing, I wouldn't worry too much about it because you can easily study those on your own or with a book like EK.

5. researchprof

researchprof Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Being a non-trad is tough, and the courage to pursue medical school is indeed commendable.

My input:

Get the Kaplan MCAT Comprehensive review book and read it THOROUGHLY. If you have previous science background, which I am merely presuming, you may skip what is unnecesary, at least that is what I did, but there is no MCAT score to show for it. That failing, read the whole book THOROUGHLY. Areas that aren't clear can always be clarified by reading an appropriate textbook. You can even read the review book twice.

When its two months to the MCAT, just do practice tests, as many as you can. An August MCAT would be suggested if you do not wish to apply that same year because, as a living testimony, classes will seriously detract from your MCAT study time if you are planning on April, much more so when you are taking a heavy load.

Good luck.

6. premedmom

premedmom Junior Member

Thanks everyone for your good advice. My University is offering a Princeton practice test this April, I think I will take that to see what it is all about and then read the suggested materials. I figure I have a year to do any reading that may be neccessary, and hopefully I am feeling good at this time next year.

Again, thanks! :)