Taking the MCAT before all prereqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedmom

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI,
I am a nontrad Finance major who does sciences when I can fit them in my schedule (I am also a wife, mom of a todler and work full time). I am graduating spring 2005 and will still have to take a bio elective, genetics and the second half of physics. I plan on taking these during the summer 2005. Is it unrealistic to take the MCAT in April 2005 without yet having done these courses?
Thanks for any input, it is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think MCAT requires bio knowledge beyond the required general biology. If you study physics II on your own, you'd probably be okay if this is the only classes you'll be missing.

It is certainly possible to take the mcat without having taken the courses. Whether you'll do as well as if you had taken them first is another question. If it is only the second half of physics and genetics you're missing, I wouldn't worry too much about it because you can easily study those on your own or with a book like EK.

Being a non-trad is tough, and the courage to pursue medical school is indeed commendable.

My input:

Get the Kaplan MCAT Comprehensive review book and read it THOROUGHLY. If you have previous science background, which I am merely presuming, you may skip what is unnecesary, at least that is what I did, but there is no MCAT score to show for it. That failing, read the whole book THOROUGHLY. Areas that aren't clear can always be clarified by reading an appropriate textbook. You can even read the review book twice.

When its two months to the MCAT, just do practice tests, as many as you can. An August MCAT would be suggested if you do not wish to apply that same year because, as a living testimony, classes will seriously detract from your MCAT study time if you are planning on April, much more so when you are taking a heavy load.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone for your good advice. My University is offering a Princeton practice test this April, I think I will take that to see what it is all about and then read the suggested materials. I figure I have a year to do any reading that may be neccessary, and hopefully I am feeling good at this time next year.

Again, thanks! :)