Taking the PCAT for the FIRST time in January 2009.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gzahalan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm applying to the University of Toronto's Pharmacy program and this is the first year they have the PCAT. They have not determined ANYTHING as of cut-off scores, minimum PCAT requirements, etc.

It really sucks knowing NOTHING about cut-off scores... I have asked them on a few occasions and they are not saying anything until June.

But, my first time writing the PCAT will be in JAN 09... I just wanted some advice...

How did you guys find the Verbal part of the PCAT? How did you prepare for it?

I see all over the site that the Verbal scores are usually lower... why is this?

Also, what were some of the sections mostly covered for the sub-sections (bio, chem, and math)? Any information and/or advice is appreciated.

Thanks, everyone!

-gzahalan.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just guessing on the verbal part but I bet a lot of the people taking the PCAT don't read as much so don't know as much vocabulary outside of the science words we all know. You can't do well in verbal without at a decent vocab. Plus it is hard to study for that one to see big improvements. You can memorize lots of words but the chances that you will see those particular words on the exam aren't that high.

hey,

i am also taking the pcat in january 2009. i have just started studying for it. how are you preparing for the exam? like are you just reading the kaplan book or going through the science first then math then verbal. if you have any tips for me let me know.

good luck in january.

thanks,:)

Hey JanPCAT,

Well, basically, I have the big purple Kaplan book but I have many other books, as well. I mainly tried to purchase books that have A LOT of practice questions because in terms of information, the KAPLAN Book (and the new McGraw-Hill's PCAT study guide) seem sufficient. Reading the information is not as important as practicing it (in my mind), I purchased the PCAT destroyer, some books from Barron's, some PCAT cue cards, and other stuff that mainly has questions. I made the choices for these books based on what people have told me in-person and from this forum. I just gathered all ideas up, did a "pre-screening" of the books and their usability, then purchased the ones I liked. The book I have been hearing a lot about (on this forum) is the PCAT destroyer. Looking through it, there's easily hundreds of questions... As a result, it seems to be very helpful to applicants. That is the best I can tell you since my first PCAT test date will be January. Good luck to all of us and hopefully we get in to where we apply!

-gzahalan.

Thank you for the advice! :).

That is what I was thinking... It's mainly based on one's pre-existing knowledge. I think for the verbal part of the PCAT, I'm just going to keep in-mind the hints and tricks that the KAPLAN PCAT book mentions and go in there with what I know. I don't know how much studying one can do for a randomized set of word questions... You're definitely right.

Anyways, have you done the PCAT? If so, what advice and tips do you have for the Verbal (and, of course, other sections)?

-gzahalan.