taking the red eye

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anystream

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
to save money, I was thinking about flying into an interview location the early morning of the day of my interview

has anyone done this? it's not a top choice, but I really would prefer to 1) save money on a hotel room and 2) save time by not staying the night before my interview

Members don't see this ad.

Call the school to see if they offer a student host program. Most interview days that I know of start typically around 9:00 AM and chances are that if you are flying from a few states away, your flight won't leave before 6:30 AM.

Still, check the flights for the airport, location, and interview date to see if it would even feasibly work. Flying out of Kansas City International, I don't have the luxury of flying out and back same-day, but your situation might be different. Just know that if you fly out the morning of your interview, the weather and luck will determine whether or not you make it to your interview...

Yea, I'm in a similar position. What I actually meant was flying out in the evening of the night before, and arriving around 2 am the day of my interview. It is a bad idea?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is what I'm doing for all of my interviews unfortunately. I did it Monday September 19th just a few days ago (on my birthday, nonetheless) to interview at AECOM and traveling like that is really exhausting, I'll warn you. I have to do it this way, though, because I work 15-20 hours a week, volunteer, and have 14 credit hours this semester. (I can't wait for this semester to end!)

Best of luck to you with respect to interviewing and traveling, though! Think of it as taking little mini-vacations which just happen to be to medical schools destinations... or something like that.

:)

frostynorthwind said:
This is what I'm doing for all of my interviews unfortunately. I did it Monday September 19th just a few days ago (on my birthday, nonetheless) to interview at AECOM and traveling like that is really exhausting, I'll warn you. I have to do it this way, though, because I work 15-20 hours a week, volunteer, and have 14 credit hours this semester. (I can't wait for this semester to end!)

Best of luck to you with respect to interviewing and traveling, though! Think of it as taking little mini-vacations which just happen to be to medical schools destinations... or something like that.

:)

did you interview at AECOM on the 20th?

If you can sleep effectively on a plane, then yes. if you'll b eup all night, it might not be the best choice. I personally can't sleep on planes even if I'm drugged out. But as others mentioned many schools have student host programs or maybe you can ask a fellow sdner to host you.

I'll definitely be taking a few red eye flights due to my interview availability (sadly, only Mondays and Fridays until the semester ends). Leave the west coast at 8/9pm, arrive on the east coast at 7am. Priceless. :)