Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Taking three classes vs. four.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by SeaAngel45, Jul 25, 2006.

1. SeaAngel45

SeaAngel45 Member

Pre-Medical
    Next sem, I have signed up for Physics 2, Orgo 2, a 300 level language course, and a psych class I don't need.

I know that is only a few classes but I had to to put in a lot of time and effort for Orgo 1, an Physics 1. If I dropped the psych class....I would only have 14 hours which at my school is minimum but I would be comfortable with my load.

Is this okay? I just want to know if it would look bad if I only had three classes and research next semester. Does anybody have experiences with taking less credit hours and if they had to answer for it?

Thank you so much for your help.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Vvandenn

Vvandenn Member

Pre-Medical
    Taking only 14 credit hours should be perfectly fine. Don't worry about it.

4. MinnyGophers

MinnyGophers Senior Member

Post Doc
    I don't think the adcomms really care if you took a slightly lighter load each semester, as long as you still do well in your classes. If you do research on the side, you have a perfect reason to. I'm in the same boat. You don't want to overwork yourself and risk getting lower grades in your pre-reqs.

5. ArminTamzarian

Medical Student
    When I spoke with the director of admissions at USF, he said to keep at least 16 hours per term. Although I did take only 14 hours this summer.

6. hermit

hermit Senior Member

Medical Student
    OP, you can follow this advice if you want, but I disagree. Phys 2 and Organic 2 are prereqs and key classes. B's could mean the difference between getting an interview and not (first hand from an adcom member who posts here). Better to get the interview with your 4.0 and have to explain why you took a lighter load (which I really can't see coming up) than to not get the interview with a 3.5 and brag to whoever cares (no one) that you stayed above some arbitrary course load.

Seriously, with the infinite number of interview questions out there, do you really see an interviewer wasting the few minutes you have together making you defend your good grades? Come on.

7. appleluver7

appleluver7 Member

Pre-Medical
    It really depends on where you go to college. Do you go to Yale College? If so, taking 3 is a big no-no, as 4-5 is considered normal. At other universities, 3-4 is considered normal, full time.

8. MissMcCall

MissMcCall Member

Pre-Medical
    In my opinion it is better to take the three classes and do well in them than to take four and spread yourself too thin, especially since you're taking physics and orgo. I only took the minimum credits last semester so that I could study for the mcat, in addition to working part time and doing research. I can't speak for all schools, but I don't think they would care if you did this as long as you did well in your classes and could account for your time.

9. dapmp91

dapmp91 Member

Pre-Medical
    yea i'm pretty much doing the same thing man, I'm taking Calc I, Bio I, and G-Chem II, thats only around 12-13 hours I'm taking however I plan on making A's and anybody taking 3 classes shouldn't have any excuses for not making A's..soo get A's in them and you'll be fine... :luck: