SeaAngel45

Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2006
51
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Next sem, I have signed up for Physics 2, Orgo 2, a 300 level language course, and a psych class I don't need.

I know that is only a few classes but I had to to put in a lot of time and effort for Orgo 1, an Physics 1. If I dropped the psych class....I would only have 14 hours which at my school is minimum but I would be comfortable with my load.

Is this okay? I just want to know if it would look bad if I only had three classes and research next semester. Does anybody have experiences with taking less credit hours and if they had to answer for it?

Thank you so much for your help.
 

Vvandenn

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2006
764
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Taking only 14 credit hours should be perfectly fine. Don't worry about it.
 

MinnyGophers

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
618
0
Status
Post Doc
SeaAngel45 said:
Next sem, I have signed up for Physics 2, Orgo 2, a 300 level language course, and a psych class I don't need.

I know that is only a few classes but I had to to put in a lot of time and effort for Orgo 1, an Physics 1. If I dropped the psych class....I would only have 14 hours which at my school is minimum but I would be comfortable with my load.

Is this okay? I just want to know if it would look bad if I only had three classes and research next semester. Does anybody have experiences with taking less credit hours and if they had to answer for it?

Thank you so much for your help.
I don't think the adcomms really care if you took a slightly lighter load each semester, as long as you still do well in your classes. If you do research on the side, you have a perfect reason to. I'm in the same boat. You don't want to overwork yourself and risk getting lower grades in your pre-reqs.
 
About the Ads

ArminTamzarian

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
106
0
Status
Medical Student
MinnyGophers said:
I don't think the adcomms really care if you took a slightly lighter load each semester, as long as you still do well in your classes. If you do research on the side, you have a perfect reason to. I'm in the same boat. You don't want to overwork yourself and risk getting lower grades in your pre-reqs.
When I spoke with the director of admissions at USF, he said to keep at least 16 hours per term. Although I did take only 14 hours this summer.
 

hermit

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 30, 2006
549
2
Status
Medical Student
ArminTamzarian said:
When I spoke with the director of admissions at USF, he said to keep at least 16 hours per term.
OP, you can follow this advice if you want, but I disagree. Phys 2 and Organic 2 are prereqs and key classes. B's could mean the difference between getting an interview and not (first hand from an adcom member who posts here). Better to get the interview with your 4.0 and have to explain why you took a lighter load (which I really can't see coming up) than to not get the interview with a 3.5 and brag to whoever cares (no one) that you stayed above some arbitrary course load.

Seriously, with the infinite number of interview questions out there, do you really see an interviewer wasting the few minutes you have together making you defend your good grades? Come on.
 

appleluver7

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
51
0
Status
Pre-Medical
hermit said:
OP, you can follow this advice if you want, but I disagree. Phys 2 and Organic 2 are prereqs and key classes. B's could mean the difference between getting an interview and not (first hand from an adcom member who posts here). Better to get the interview with your 4.0 and have to explain why you took a lighter load (which I really can't see coming up) than to not get the interview with a 3.5 and brag to whoever cares (no one) that you stayed above some arbitrary course load.

Seriously, with the infinite number of interview questions out there, do you really see an interviewer wasting the few minutes you have together making you defend your good grades? Come on.
It really depends on where you go to college. Do you go to Yale College? If so, taking 3 is a big no-no, as 4-5 is considered normal. At other universities, 3-4 is considered normal, full time.
 

MissMcCall

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
5
0
Michigan
Status
Pre-Medical
In my opinion it is better to take the three classes and do well in them than to take four and spread yourself too thin, especially since you're taking physics and orgo. I only took the minimum credits last semester so that I could study for the mcat, in addition to working part time and doing research. I can't speak for all schools, but I don't think they would care if you did this as long as you did well in your classes and could account for your time.
 

dapmp91

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2006
402
0
Status
Pre-Medical
yea i'm pretty much doing the same thing man, I'm taking Calc I, Bio I, and G-Chem II, thats only around 12-13 hours I'm taking however I plan on making A's and anybody taking 3 classes shouldn't have any excuses for not making A's..soo get A's in them and you'll be fine... :luck:
 
About the Ads