Taking time off after undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pineapplehead

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I am currently in an undergraduate university. I was wondering, do people ever take time off before they go to Med School and work somewhere? I was thinking of maybe doing a year or two as a paramedic and then applying to Med School.... how long is too long a break? Thanks!:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

lots of people take time off after college...look at the average age of medical students.

i think that if you feel the need to have some time off, go for it. my personal view is work now, enjoy later. i plan to take a year off after residency or even b4 residency...that is if i get in this year ;)

I took off 6 years. Has done nothing but help me in this process.

i've taken 3 years off. it's been great. smartest choice i could have made. "real life" is interesting and gives you a good perspective. if you haven't spent any time in the grades-free world since you were 5, i suggest you check it out.

one med school faculty member explained it like this: "kids who come straight out of undergrad focus on getting the best grades and being top of their med class. people who come have taken time off and come from the working world focus on becoming great doctors"