Taking time off between dental school and a job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatorchc27

Linda
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a predental junior right now and I"m getting ready to start the application process. Being a female with strong family values, I was wondering how easy it is to take time off after getting your degree to raise children for 3-4 years before getting a full time job. And, will people hire you if you would only like to work 2-3 days a week until your kids are in school? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

gatorchc27 said:
I'm a predental junior right now and I"m getting ready to start the application process. Being a female with strong family values, I was wondering how easy it is to take time off after getting your degree to raise children for 3-4 years before getting a full time job. And, will people hire you if you would only like to work 2-3 days a week until your kids are in school? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

I've run into a few female dental students who don't plan to work full-time after dental school. In fact, one young woman in particular mentioned that her fiancee was already practicing, and she would mostly likely have about 4 boys and practice minimally. :D

In reality, this is one of the main reasons why so many women are drawn to dentistry: flexibility of schedule.

Once you earn your DDS/DMD, the sky is virtually the limit as far as options. Take care and GOD Bless.

gatorchc27 said:
Thanks!

Many associates work 2-3 days a week. it should not be a problem. In all honesty, you don't ever have to work a single day after getting your degree as long as you don't have any loans to pay off. Other than paying back loans, no one will care if you choose to practice or not. This really is a great field for those who want flexibilty of schedule.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback, it helped reassure me that this is really what I want to do :) Looking forward to joining y'all soon!

grant555 said:
I've run into a few female dental students who don't plan to work full-time after dental school. In fact, one young woman in particular mentioned that her fiancee was already practicing, and she would mostly likely have about 4 boys and practice minimally. :D

In reality, this is one of the main reasons why so many women are drawn to dentistry: flexibility of schedule.

Once you earn your DDS/DMD, the sky is virtually the limit as far as options. Take care and GOD Bless.

Would a type of question ever come up in the interview, such as where do you see yourself in 5-10 years, do I be honest with them about taking time off? Or do they not like to hear that?

gatorchc27 said:
Would a type of question ever come up in the interview, such as where do you see yourself in 5-10 years, do I be honest with them about taking time off? Or do they not like to hear that?

Do not say that. In their minds they'll think you're just doing dentistry to have something to do. In the back of their minds they'll wonder if after you've stayed at home with your children if you'll even want to go back to dentistry. Or if you'll let your hand skills slide over the years and when you want to come back full time your proficiency will have diminished.

Say you see yourself in a stable environment with the flexibility of a family life with along with practicing dentistry.

I agree, and I think you should probably do some work before you take time off. I think going to school and then not working might be a bad idea since you will quickly fall out of touch with your clinical skills and medical knowledge. (and it may make it hard to find someone to hire you) I would try to work one day a week, or practice for a year or two and then stop.

gatorchc27 said:

In actuality, this very question was posed to me in my interview at Howard. I answered with what I thought would be the most likely scenario: a cross between practice, teaching, and community service. The "correct" or "best" answer would most likely depend on your own personal goals, and the goals of the dental school itself. One thing that is often overlooked is that dental schools themselves have an agenda as to what type of student they want to attract and what sort of dentist or "product" (this exact word was used by the interviewer) they wish to put out.

Another way to look at it is the viewpoint that every resume should be rewritten or tailored for each job; meaning that you can't just use one resume and mail copies of it around to different prospective employers.

However, you can't recreate yourself for each interview because that would be dishonest to some extent, which brings me back to my overall point. You must take care which schools you apply to begin with, so that potential interviewers won't ask questions requiring replies contrary to your or the dental school's goals. I don't believe that you can predetermine everything, but logical choices must be made when applying to a dental school.

For example, while I think Loma Linda would've have provided a great dental education, I did not apply there because I am not a 7th Day Adventist, and don't know much about the religion. Perhaps this was presumptuous on my part, but I am relating my thinking process at the time.

In my humble opinion, the best approach is to research the school, visit the campus, and talk to students who attend to get a feel of how your tenure there will play out. Doing these things will make the interview process much more straightforward. I hope this helps. Take care and GOD Bless.

I am in the same position you, however, I want to work full time 2-3 years out of school and then work part time once I have children. I want to work 2 days a week (or three short days) to keep my skills sharp while my children are young and then go back full swing once they start school.

After talking to many doctors they all seem this is something important to bring up in your interview. Do you really want to work in a place that does not support you and your decisions a year or two after being there? Most people know and understand what the outcome might be when hiring females (I am not saying it is right or not, but it happens). I know I may have to take a pay cut by being honest upfront, but I want to work somewhere that supports me and what I see for my life.... I guess I just want to work at a place that is the right match for me.

At the same time however, things can change and you may change your mind in which case being so honest upfront may not be the best idea.

Well, there are my thoughts so take them as you will :)

Thanks for all the reassuring feedback. My plan was to work for 3-4 years after dental school, get stable financially, have some good work experience, etc. I'm really happy to hear that this is a realistic plan and I look forward to my future as a dentist (once I get accepted that is :)

CJWolf said:
Do not say that. In their minds they'll think you're just doing dentistry to have something to do. In the back of their minds they'll wonder if after you've stayed at home with your children if you'll even want to go back to dentistry. Or if you'll let your hand skills slide over the years and when you want to come back full time your proficiency will have diminished.

Say you see yourself in a stable environment with the flexibility of a family life with along with practicing dentistry.
This is very true. The last thing the admissions people want to hear is that you will plan on popping out puppies with your degree from their school.

But they have a point...the state and federal government spends thousands of dollars to educate you (your tuition is only a part of what it costs to educate you), and they do this with the assumption that you will then provide your services to the community when you graduate.