Taking too long to go through questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDude

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To do a set of 50 questions and then to go through all the answers takes me about 3-4 hours. That means it can take up to a good 6-8 hours per day to just go through 2 sets questions. I have no problem finishing a set of 50 within the hour time limit, so it's going through the answers that makes up most of the time. I was wondering if it's like this for anybody else too?

Members don't see this ad.

To do a set of 50 questions and then to go through all the answers takes me about 3-4 hours. That means it can take up to a good 6-8 hours per day to just go through 2 sets questions. I have no problem finishing a set of 50 within the hour time limit, so it's going through the answers that makes up most of the time. I was wondering if it's like this for anybody else too?

When i started UWorld it was taking me about 3 hours to go through a block of 50 with explanations. I progressed to cut it down to about an 2 and a half hours. But keep in mind youre getting 5 times the amount of info from just 1 question so you are getting good efficiency out of your 3 hours. Plus after all those answers + explanations you build up serious endurance - when i went and took an NBME it felt so good to only have to answer the question and move on that i breezed right through the 200 like it was nothing.

That happened to me too. But the more questions you've done, it seems like you can read the answer explanations faster and scan thru the stuff you don't need to read. When I started it took about 3-3.5 hrs, now 1000-1500 questions later it's taking me about 2 hrs.

gets a lot faster once you know you stuff...i go by the rule, one hour to take the 50 question block, one hour to go over it. take quit notes (couple lines), and do it all in one notebook - don't annotate your FA with all the stuff in the qbanks...

mark good questions you come across to do again later.

usmleworld made it a little easier for me to review because for questions i got right, i just read the general overall point in the bottom (if i feel like reading a bit about it then i read the longer explanation). the ones I get wrong i read the full explanation for.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I agree with everyone else...at first it took me much longer but as I'm getting used to the questions and have been studying more i can get thru them much quicker. You'll start to find the same thing, so don't give up. Good luck!

I think that's definitely a sound strategy. My method isn't as good: I take about 50 minutes for questions and then just shoot thru the answers as quickly as possible. I'll stop to look at the ones I've gotten wrong and the ones I'm not sure about but I rarely spend more than 30 minutes on the results.

Could be a reason why my scores aren't improving as quickly as others :)

The thing to do is to KNOW and UNDERSTAND the concept behind each question.
Forget the time part, just learn it well.
And then wala.

And I agree with most of what BLIZ said.