Taking TPR, should I use different books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theAtrophied

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've mostly been a silent observer around here so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question.
I'm a Biochemistry major and I've signed up for the TPR Ultimate class. They've shipped my books to me, along with a packet noting all the mistakes they've made, and that really doesn't help lower my stress levels. I don't know if I'll use all of the review books (it seems like a lot of people don't actually look at these books anyway), but I'm really worried.

Should I buy different review books and study from those, even though I'm taking the actual TPR class?
Do I even need them?
I'm thinking about getting the physics book from TBR and EK Verbal, should I think about getting more than that?​

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

TPR summer intensive student here.

No company is perfect and no set of review books has the best books for every subject. On bit of advice is that these in-person courses are tailored towards people who have been out of school for a while and need to learn re-learn everything. If you have recently done relevant coursework, passively taking the course will not benefit you at all. You have to tailor the resources that the course offers, such as the teachers and the problems, to your own needs. For example, as a Biochem major it will probably be impossible for you to take somebody teaching you basic Biochem content seriously! Therefore, you have to focus on exposing holes in your knowledge which only comes about by doing a lot of problems on your own. The books don't matter that much in comparison to the problems. (so just stick to the books the give you for now and don't spend money until you know your weaknesses)

My score comes out in 11 days so I'll let you know how I did, but I feel like the course helped me adequately prepare myself. Rather than giving an overview, feel free to ask any questions about specific parts of the course.

Also don't follow their directions to use AAMC 10 as a diagnostic.

Hey guys,

I've mostly been a silent observer around here so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question.
I'm a Biochemistry major and I've signed up for the TPR Ultimate class. They've shipped my books to me, along with a packet noting all the mistakes they've made, and that really doesn't help lower my stress levels. I don't know if I'll use all of the review books (it seems like a lot of people don't actually look at these books anyway), but I'm really worried.

Should I buy different review books and study from those, even though I'm taking the actual TPR class?
Do I even need them?
I'm thinking about getting the physics book from TBR and EK Verbal, should I think about getting more than that?​

Thank you!

PR content books are reasonably good especially Biology.
PR ICC are great for passage practice.
PR Cracking practice are good too according to inycepoo.
PR Science & Verbal workbook are highly demanded by all in this forum.
Complement with Chads Video.
If you really feel the need later for more detail content understanding, then get BR. e.g. physics.
BR content at least by many considered as too dense but majority enjoy their passage practice.
By all means, get the EK 101 verbal for practice.

I liked TPR. Did all their books minus gchem end of chapter book qs and all of sci wkbk minus fluids ch this summer. felt that I ended up with pretty good grasp of everything (at the end of my studying after a bunch of practice tests), but shaky on orgo. I did fine and barely missed any orgo on practice tests, but would suggest supplementing it (maybe chad's, although I haven't used it). I had used tbr for the sciences last summer but had to basically restudy from scratch. I have all the books from tbr, tpr, ek, kaplan, but I would suggest using one as a primary source. The mix and match thing didn't work too well.