taking two years off after med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

prlester

I have an interest in practicing in japan for a few years while i am still young after med school. It would probably be primary care. What implications would this have on my application for residency when i got back?

Members don't see this ad.

Most PDs don't approve of people taking time off after residency. However, if you were doing medicine, I think that wouldn't hurt you too much.

You would end up getting lumped into the category of doctors returning to residency, which is traditionally a less-desired group by programs.

When you are close to graduation you may want to talk to PDs in fields/programs that you were interested in, explain your situation, and see how they react. I think that most PDs will give you a fairly honest answer.

Sounds like a great idea, actually. Most of us can't do that kind of thing because of loans and other obligations, but if you've got the time and drive, I say go for it!

sounds like a good idea.

i deferred my desire to do some stuff by going to residency first.

i promise myself i would take time off after residency instead of contuining this rat race.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend it. This will be field specific to some extent, though. You should talk to a chair/PD in your chosen field.

What are the logistics of doing primary care in Japan straight out of US med school?

Reactions: 2 users
you guys are responding to a 13 yr old thread.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.