Taking undergraduate classes in graduate school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

citrusguy2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

First off, thanks for all the posts and all the updates. I had a question about taking undergraduate classes in graduate school. I messed up a few science classes back during undergraduate and I will be a MPH student next year at either Columbia or Emory. At both of those schools I have the opportunity to take classes in the undergraduate campus. My question is - if I retake some of the classes I did bad on (say genetics - I got a C in undergrad, but I want to retake a genetics class in grad school), would it help my undergraduate record or undergraduate sGPA at all? Even if not numerically, would it have some kind of psychological impact for the med school adcoms? Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

While you are a grad school candidate, if you take classes that are not required to earn your degree, you may list them as postbac classes on the AMCAS application and they will be included in the calculation of your undergrad GPA and uBCPM GPA.

So you'll have the benefit of improvement in numbers as well as a positive psychological impact.

While you are a grad school candidate, if you take classes that are not required to earn your degree, you may list them as postbac classes on the AMCAS application and they will be included in the calculation of your undergrad GPA and uBCPM GPA.

So you'll have the benefit of improvement in numbers as well as a positive psychological impact.

I have the same question, I didn't want to make another thread though. I'm finishing my MS and starting a certificate program. I've taken several undergrad courses while in the MS program which are not a part of my degree and I have to take some more when I'm in the certificate program. I've heard some stories about those courses(that you take while in a grad program) being shown as grad courses. Can you simply list courses as post-bacc? I was told by my advisor I have to stat a second BS. I wanted to apply for that. Do you think it's necessary? Do I have to finish it if I start or I can just transfer these courses and take as many as I need? There is no formal post-bacc program here.