BOTH Taking USMLE Step 1 and timing of things for residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDreams

Attending Physician
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Comlex...so everything in my life about 1 month before my exam went bad. I ended up scoring 449 on the exam. I've started rotations now and I want to do IM in Seattle WA.

Should I take the USMLE? If yes when is the latest I can take it. I'm really torn right now. I don't know if I want to do interventional cardiology but I don't want to shut the door on it.

Also when we submit our residency application are we supposed to choose places that we haven't even auditioned at? Should we audition for MD?

Members don't see this ad.

Comlex...so everything in my life about 1 month before my exam went bad. I ended up scoring 449 on the exam. I've started rotations now and I want to do IM in Seattle WA.

Should I take the USMLE? If yes when is the latest I can take it. I'm really torn right now. I don't know if I want to do interventional cardiology but I don't want to shut the door on it.

Also when we submit our residency application are we supposed to choose places that we haven't even auditioned at? Should we audition for MD?

There are too many uncertainties to answer all of your questions. There are only 2 programs in Seattle, both ACGME. So yes, you’ll want to take Step 1 and do very well on it. But based on your COMLEX score, your Step 1 prognosis is poor. I understand you had circumstances that impacted your potential, but the further you get away from preclinical years, the harder it is to retain all the info for Step 1 let alone find time while on rotations + studying for shelf exams.

Edit: but if you’re hell bent on taking it, when you take it will depend on how you’re doing on rotations, how strong your letters are, and how stellar the rest of your application is (eg. research, experiences, class rank, etc).

If it’s just your COMLEX score that’s bringing you down, away rotations can likely hurt you more than help you. But if you’re lacking in other areas of your application and you’ve gotten excellent feedback while on rotations (you’re a normal, hardworking, smart, respectful, competent person) and you’re certain you can shine for a whole month, aways can possibly help.

In the first scenario, you’ll want to take Step 1 by March so you have it for VSAS ~April. In the latter, you just need your score by September 15, 2018 to submit with your ERAS application.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user