Taking USMLE Step Times Into Consideration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moneduloides

Corvus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Of course, it probably should not be one of the primary criteria for consideration of which medical schools you apply to, but after having discussed this with both residents and current medical students it seems like something I might want to take into consideration (Particularly if I ever find myself in the position of wanting to do neurosurg or another high-step-score-demanding discipline). Is there any one central place I can go to look at the times medical schools set aside for students to study for the Steps, or must I find this information by going to each individual medical school's website/contacting them directly?

Members don't see this ad.

I actually think it's a good idea to consider this. I'm studying for step 1 one right now and let me tell you, no way would I be able to do this with only 3 weeks off. Maybe other people can, especially for those who take step 1 right after 2nd year (my school's schedule is different), but damn this test sucks. Generally speaking, the more time off you get, the better off you'll be.

And I think you'll only find this info on the schools' websites or from current students.

Most schools have their students take it between 2nd year and 3rd year so if you can find schedules online with the length of the summer break between those 2 years, that's the max time you will probably have to study.

Members don't see this ad :)
We got six weeks and I studied for five. Honestly I don't think I could have taken another week or two of studying because I was already kind of burned out.

This is an excellent thread topic!!

Does anyone have any info on GWU?

UCLA had 8 weeks of vacation before you had to take it and start 3rd year. Most only used 4 weeks or so. I used all 8 weeks, if I was given more I sure would of used it.