Taking vacation while on internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

one percent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got engaged and we're trying to figure out dates and tentative plans before Match Day. For those of you who had VA internships:

1. Were there restrictions about when you could take vacation days during your internship year?
  2. How many vacation days did you get during the internship year?

I know this may vary by site (especially if it's part of a consortium though I didn't rank any consortiums) but any information you can provide would be helpful. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I recently got engaged and we're trying to figure out dates and tentative plans before Match Day. For those of you who had VA internships:

1. Were there restrictions about when you could take vacation days during your internship year?
  2. How many vacation days did you get during the internship year?

I know this may vary by site (especially if it's part of a consortium though I didn't rank any consortiums) but any information you can provide would be helpful. Thanks!

You accumulated 4 hours of annual leave per pay period in the VA. Generally speaking, i have been able to take it whenever i want. 30 day notice is required.

It's doable, but could be tough. I believe we get something like 10 personal days here, which could of course be used for a vacation. The more difficult part could be negotiating coverage while you're gone. We're lucky at my site in that this place operates just fine without us around. However, even then, supervisors could start to become a bit irked if you take too long a chunk of time off all at once, particularly if you have shorter rotation periods (e.g., three-month rotations vs. four- or six-month rotations).