mbk21

10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi guys,
I know that medical schools usually require a year of english. However, there is a writing class at my school (UCI), writing 39C, that is a breadth requirement. I must take it before my junior year (I'm a second year now). However, I am going to be completely inundated with work next quarter (biochem, physics, orgo chem B, and orgo chem lab), so I may not be able to do really well. I was wondering if it would have a real negative impact when it comes time to applying? Or should I just take a chance and run the risk of getting a poor grade? I'm just concerned that the P/NP would be a red flag and might be calculated a s a C if I pass.

Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays! :)

fightinI

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2007
Little Italy
Status
Medical Student
Hi guys,
I know that medical schools usually require a year of english. However, there is a writing class at my school (UCI), writing 39C, that is a breadth requirement. I must take it before my junior year (I'm a second year now). However, I am going to be completely inundated with work next quarter (biochem, physics, orgo chem B, and orgo chem lab), so I may not be able to do really well. I was wondering if it would have a real negative impact when it comes time to applying? Or should I just take a chance and run the risk of getting a poor grade? I'm just concerned that the P/NP would be a red flag and might be calculated a s a C if I pass.

Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays! :)

I would avoid taking it pass/fail if at all possible, depending on what you mean by a "poor" grade. Personally, I would rather have a "B" than a "P". If you're GPA is otherwise strong, this is a less important issue.

I'm not sure if people automatically think "C" when they see a "P" on the transcript, but I would think it varies from school to school and possibly screener to screener.

About the Ads