1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Taking Writing pass/not pass?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by mbk21, Dec 23, 2008.

1. mbk21

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi guys,
    I know that medical schools usually require a year of english. However, there is a writing class at my school (UCI), writing 39C, that is a breadth requirement. I must take it before my junior year (I'm a second year now). However, I am going to be completely inundated with work next quarter (biochem, physics, orgo chem B, and orgo chem lab), so I may not be able to do really well. I was wondering if it would have a real negative impact when it comes time to applying? Or should I just take a chance and run the risk of getting a poor grade? I'm just concerned that the P/NP would be a red flag and might be calculated a s a C if I pass.

Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays! :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. fightinI

5+ Year Member

Medical Student

I would avoid taking it pass/fail if at all possible, depending on what you mean by a "poor" grade. Personally, I would rather have a "B" than a "P". If you're GPA is otherwise strong, this is a less important issue.

I'm not sure if people automatically think "C" when they see a "P" on the transcript, but I would think it varies from school to school and possibly screener to screener.