Taking your Medical Education elsewhere

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Japika

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am quickly losing faith in Americans. Is it possible to get a MD, and go and help people in another country. Another country that has citizens who actually care about those around them?

On country in particular is Denmark. Anybody know anything about getting a medical education, then moving to Denmark to practice?

Members don't see this ad.

One major issue is that, if your student debt is comparable to most medical graduates, it will be difficult to repay it with the compensation you would get in many foreign countries.

What languages do you speak?

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be taking one of the best educations in the world wherever you go, so finding work shouldn't be too tough. You will have to contend with whatever licencing requirements your country of choice has, but that shouldn't be too big a deal.

The big problem will not be identifying countries (yes, Denmark is a one of them), the big part will be dealing with the shock that comes when you realize that Americans are no more or less caring than anybody else.

lol, fine, i edited it...but you have to admit it wasn't a nice post...

Really? How so?

I seem to agree with the OP a bit, especially when I get called a liar by most of SDN for revealing that I am not going into medicine for the money... it's a little disheartening.

To the OP, the other problem is that, should you reveal your intentions to leave the country and take your medical school education elsewhere, it may prohibit you from being able to get into some schools. Medical schools (and, pretty commonly, in most medical environments) expect to get something back for the time they take training you (besides the $$, of course). If they're going to train a doctor in medically one of the best countries in the world, then they're going to expect you to work to keep that reputation for the US.

I don't necessarily agree with the reasoning, and I'm sure that many will find it inspiring if you talk about spending time in Africa with the Peace Corps or something, but to permanently take your American education elsewhere? Eh... might not fly over so well.

I seem to agree with the OP a bit, especially when I get called a liar by most of SDN for revealing that I am not going into medicine for the money... it's a little disheartening.

I get that too....and when I tell people my ultimate goal for becoming a doctor is so I can open a free clinic in a poor rural area, they laugh and ask if I'm practicing for my interview with that...

It's sad, and I'm starting to worry if I really will just be labeled a liar by my interviewer if I answer that way...

Go to Singapore. Singapore is anglophone, it has one of the highest standards of living in the world, the MD compensation is rather competitive, taxes are WAY low (though you'll have to pay some US income taxes in addition to Singaporean taxes) and they have one of the world's better universal coverage programs (so you can feel all warm and fuzzy helping those who need it)

that's my pair of lincoln's heads. also, keep in mind that I was born in Singapore - maybe I'm biased?

Really? How so?

To the OP, the other problem is that, should you reveal your intentions to leave the country and take your medical school education elsewhere, it may prohibit you from being able to get into some schools. Medical schools (and, pretty commonly, in most medical environments) expect to get something back for the time they take training you (besides the $$, of course). If they're going to train a doctor in medically one of the best countries in the world, then they're going to expect you to work to keep that reputation for the US.

I don't necessarily agree with the reasoning, and I'm sure that many will find it inspiring if you talk about spending time in Africa with the Peace Corps or something, but to permanently take your American education elsewhere? Eh... might not fly over so well.

you can go into a lot of things for the money, but we all know that medicine isn't one of them. Yes, you might endure a few years of doing something you don't want to, just for the money - but dedicating your whole life to something like medicine takes something a bit more than just money. With that being said, yes, there might be people who are able to pull it it off. Either way, I'm not concerned with that.

However, when someone says: "Another country that has citizens who actually care about those around them". How is someone expected to respond to something like that? Is the OP saying that I do not give a crap about people around me just because I'm an American? Or is the OP questioning my goals as a premed, just because I'm an American?

I might have read too into the original post. If I did, I apologize. I've deleted my post.

Not all Americans are the same. I care a lot about people around me. I wouldn't flee the country after medical school b/c of a broad generalization about an entire country when I am sure you haven't met even 1/20th of the people that live in your state, much less all 50. Maybe just take your medical education to a different area in the U.S.?

I think people are reading too much into the OP's first post...don't think it was meant to be personally insulting to anyone.

America has a lot of great qualities, but not everything is perfect.

So it is somewhat possible to practice abroad straight out of residency?

The naive pre-med in me wants to spend at least part of my career abroad in underserved areas but the more I learn about loans, repayments etc, the more unlikely it seems. Medical volunteer programs seem to be a more brief and somewhat more realistic alternative...

To the post above that said it might be bad to tell the med schools this...I have mentioned my desire to work abroad in my personal statement and at both of my interviews...I got accepted to one and am waiting to hear from the other! :)
Could it be holding me back at other schools though?

Not all Americans are the same. I care a lot about people around me. I wouldn't flee the country after medical school b/c of a broad generalization about an entire country when I am sure you haven't met even 1/20th of the people that live in your state, much less all 50. Maybe just take your medical education to a different area in the U.S.?

I know their not, but my concerns are with the college students. Not premeds, but college students in general. These people who party all night drinking and doing drugs, till they have to call 911, and at 3 AM and everybody near their room has to listen to an ambulance across the street, the college students who scream as they walk down the street without any concern for the people around them.

If I felt I could just go move down the street and get away from these people, I would. But soon, all these college kids will be the ones in power, in an already hurting country.

These kids are supposed to be intelligent, but it doesnt matter how much a teacher tells them, if they can't behave in a remotely considerate way, this country, and everybody in it won't make it.

Even if they would show the slightest bit of concern for those around them, I might have faith, but they don't.... they straight up don't care. Just look at all the underage drinkers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know their not, but my concerns are with the college students. Not premeds, but college students in general. These people who party all night drinking and doing drugs, till they have to call 911, and at 3 AM and everybody near their room has to listen to an ambulance across the street, the college students who scream as they walk down the street without any concern for the people around them.

If I felt I could just go move down the street and get away from these people, I would. But soon, all these college kids will be the ones in power, in an already hurting country.

These kids are supposed to be intelligent, but it doesnt matter how much a teacher tells them, if they can't behave in a remotely considerate way, this country, and everybody in it won't make it.

Even if they would show the slightest bit of concern for those around them, I might have faith, but they don't.... they straight up don't care. Just look at all the underage drinkers.

:laugh:

And what is wrong with underage drinking? Having the legal drinking age at 21 is pretty ridiculous in my opinion anyway...

I sort of see what you're thinking about college students these days. If you look around a major college campus, you'll see both sides of the spectrum. There will be people who are concerned for others in disadvantaged and perilous situations. A few that come to mind are people who try to raise money for the local poor and activists against genocide in Darfur. I don't think going to another country will solve the irresponsible drinkers; I think the lack of compassion for others is worse in other countries too. (Asian countries for instance)

...uhh this reminds me of racists who stereotype minorities and use anecdotal evidence that confirm their notions, while ignoring all the other examples out there that disprove their theories.

Oh please, are you actually going to extrapolate the scenario of some irresponsible college students to the population of an entire country? That sounds like a pretty narrow view to me.

I know what you are talking about but this is more indicative of immature American youth than Americans as a whole. You can't judge a whole country on your college experience... but you can judge your college if you want =)

i know their not, but my concerns are with the college students. Not premeds, but college students in general. These people who party all night drinking and doing drugs, till they have to call 911, and at 3 am and everybody near their room has to listen to an ambulance across the street, the college students who scream as they walk down the street without any concern for the people around them.

If i felt i could just go move down the street and get away from these people, i would. But soon, all these college kids will be the ones in power, in an already hurting country.

Even if they would show the slightest bit of concern for those around them, i might have faith, but they don't.... They straight up don't care. Just look at all the underage drinkers.

Newsflash: There are kids like this all over the world.

PS stop bitching about kids "drinking and doing drugs" when you can't even use correct grammar.

I am quickly losing faith in Americans. Is it possible to get a MD, and go and help people in another country. Another country that has citizens who actually care about those around them?

On country in particular is Denmark. Anybody know anything about getting a medical education, then moving to Denmark to practice?

First off, if you are losing faith in Americans and don't want to live in America no one has told you that you need to stay here. Go live elsewhere and study elsewhere.

Secondly, Americans also are fast going towards a shortage of physicians so why would someone want to educate you in america if you don't even want to stay in America? Make sure not to make this fact clear in potential interviews or essays etc.

Thirdly, med school debt without a full scholarship =$160,000-$250,000+ in cost. Salaries abroad = much, much smaller then american money so repaying loans = more difficult.

Wow you sound like a spoiled 2 year old. No offense but let's look at reality here.

every country in the world has problems. Every country in the world has corrupt people. There are countries where human rights violations are far worse then a person's worst nightmares, where equal rights means nothing and cruel and unusual punishment is practiced every day.

News flash: Corrupt people, faithless people, power hungry people, people who have no concern for human life exist everywhere in this world and in no shortage across the globe, if not equal or worse in other countries then what you see here. So be thankful for what you have. Do good by others and live your life. if you want to move away then do so but don't come on here complaining about life and all Americans based on your experiences.

Perhaps you discount the majority of considerate, intelligent college students because they're too quiet? :shrug:

To the OP,

There's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't take a US medical education elsewhere. If you think that the US has a shortage of physicians, look at other countries. Don't listen to these idiots telling you to go study medicine elsewhere if you're going to practice elsewhere. Do what you have to do. You want the best medical education, that's why you're gonna go to school here. It's not about hating America or Americans, it's about making the contribution that you want to make, wherever you want to make it. As far as licensing in other countries, I'm sure they probably have a licensing exam that you have to take to practice there for an extended period of time. But I can't imagine more restrictions than that.

To the OP,

There's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't take a US medical education elsewhere. If you think that the US has a shortage of physicians, look at other countries. Don't listen to these idiots telling you to go study medicine elsewhere if you're going to practice elsewhere. Do what you have to do. You want the best medical education, that's why you're gonna go to school here. It's not about hating America or Americans, it's about making the contribution that you want to make, wherever you want to make it. As far as licensing in other countries, I'm sure they probably have a licensing exam that you have to take to practice there for an extended period of time. But I can't imagine more restrictions than that.

While I see the merit in this post, you have to consider that the OP is not looking to take his/her degree to Tanzania to practice, but likely to a Western European country. You would be hard-pressed to convince me that Denmark is in great need of physicians.

To the OP,

Tired's post (a few posts above yours) is the perfect response to you and the OP.

P.S. don't go calling people idiots when you have no idea what the hell it is you're talking about.:thumbdown:

You would be hard-pressed to convince me that Denmark is in great need of physicians.

And for this reason it's not very easy (if at all possible) to get licensed in such a country. The US is currently fairly unique in terms of first world nations in terms of how open it is to foreigners. About 40% of foreign applicants land residencies currently. I promise you the door doesn't swing both ways. So I'd say in addition to the concerns others have raised that you will have huge debt coming out of US schools and are unlikely to get into a US school if you indicate your plans to expatriate, you probably will have a very hard time getting licensed in a technologically sophisticated nation that carefully gauges the number of physicians in their med schools to meet their national needs. I just don't see this happening.

I'm kind of confused about the OP's concerns. Japika, are you concerned that you will be living with college students after you graduate from medical school? Are you concerned that you will be forced to treat only college-age kids? Why on earth would you choose Denmark; do you have family there or something?

Previous posts indicate that you're from Florida (and for some reason you seem to consider it a potential disadvantage in applying to medical school). If you're currently at one of the universities in Florida, I will tell you this much: there are very serious college-age students everywhere around here. If you haven't found them, then perhaps you haven't looked hard enough. There are plenty of us who are very dedicated to our studies and live quiet, successful, drug-free lives.

I'm sorry you seem to have had such a bad experience with Florida and/or the United States.

Good luck with your future plans :luck::luck::luck:.

As Bacchus and others have suggested, you may wish to explore getting your medical training in another country if in fact you do not want to practice in the United States.

You have to be kidding right? I mean really?

Yikes. Someone needs to lighten up. Either that or travel a little and see how loud Euro rave kids can be.

Your problem is that you have a total lack of perspective. You are under the bizarre impression that because people are young and stupid now they will remain that way. Our society sets aside four years for young people to move off and live in an environment of reduced consequences. It's a time when people can, if they choose, act recklessly, experiment, and learn about the world. People realize pretty quickly once they leave college that things do not work the same way anymore. It sounds to me like you're just a gigantic buzzkill. American's work longer hours, take less time off, and are generally more serious and focused then most of the rest of the world. If you think you're going to move to a place where all of the 20 year olds are responsible and considerate then you're delusional. My advice, which I am all but certain you will ignore, is to lighten up and enjoy your youth while you still can.

Money isn't an issue.. My education at my in-province (that's like a state) school in Canada would have cost me 12,000 for the entire thing!!! My debt in the USA is probably going to be 250k with cost of living. The problem is, it can be hard to get into some of the schools in countries where they provide education for practically nothing nowadays. Look into it.

I'm kind of confused about the OP's concerns. Japika, are you concerned that you will be living with college students after you graduate from medical school? Are you concerned that you will be forced to treat only college-age kids? Why on earth would you choose Denmark; do you have family there or something?

Previous posts indicate that you're from Florida (and for some reason you seem to consider it a potential disadvantage in applying to medical school). If you're currently at one of the universities in Florida, I will tell you this much: there are very serious college-age students everywhere around here. If you haven't found them, then perhaps you haven't looked hard enough. There are plenty of us who are very dedicated to our studies and live quiet, successful, drug-free lives.

I'm sorry you seem to have had such a bad experience with Florida and/or the United States.

Good luck with your future plans :luck::luck::luck:.

As Bacchus and others have suggested, you may wish to explore getting your medical training in another country if in fact you do not want to practice in the United States.
The fact of the matter is that yes, Americans love drinking in college and a lot of colleges revolve around sports rather than academics. I still can't wrap my head around people who go nuts for college football or who pride themselves on their college's success in a sport, when I was always taught to pride yourself on the amazing academic name behind your school. But then again, I went to school where I could pride myself on the name and research. Not everyone can do that.

All that being said, you're going to find cultural barriers wherever you go, and there is always going to be underage drinking or drinking and partying wherever you go, in every country. People do stuff like that. And, you'll be surprised, as people grow, they learn when and where. OP, It's not really your job to be concerned about what everyone else is doing. Some med schools are certainly more professional than others, but most of the time people learn how to professional when they need to be, and if they don't, they get in trouble. The world is not perfect, but an American medical education is still great and you'll meet plenty of intelligent people. If you want to be in a very 'academic' environment, pick a school that is big into research with a big name. In general, you will find that professional school is more academic than undergrad.

I think anyone who has had some sort of education in the European system, can understand what this person is trying to say. Japika, at the same time, I think you are jumping to conclusions too fast. I really wouldn't say that all these students who drink and disturb the peace are going to run the country (ok, Bush was an exception, but I hope the only one). In fact, it is the relatively quiet ones who usually make it all the way. Still, I think that the largest point you're missing is that America is a huge place. We have 50 states and over 300 million people. We also have many different colleges. As such, you cannot base your judgment of all Americans just because of your own particular school, city, county, or even state. A case in point: in SoCal we are notorious (sometimes noxious) for ostentatious consumption - people like to show off the cars they drive, rank you by your wealth, etc. However, this is not how it is in Philadelphia or even Northern CA. If you don't like where you are, simply changing your party school will likely solve the problem. You can also consider moving to a different state before you decide to move to Denmark or Siberia. That's too radical.

I think anyone who has had some sort of education in the European system, can understand what this person is trying to say. Japika, at the same time, I think you are jumping to conclusions too fast. I really wouldn't say that all these students who drink and disturb the peace are going to run the country (ok, Bush was an exception, but I hope the only one). In fact, it is the relatively quiet ones who usually make it all the way. Still, I think that the largest point you're missing is that America is a huge place. We have 50 states and over 300 million people. We also have many different colleges. As such, you cannot base your judgment of all Americans just because of your own particular school, city, county, or even state. A case in point: in SoCal we are notorious (sometimes noxious) for ostentatious consumption - people like to show off the cars they drive, rank you by your wealth, etc. However, this is not how it is in Philadelphia or even Northern CA. If you don't like where you are, simply changing your party school will likely solve the problem. You can also consider moving to a different state before you decide to move to Denmark or Siberia. That's too radical.

I know what you mean, and I do agree with you about everywhere being different. As I said. Someone schools are academic, some are not.

Weren't you the guy posting in the milimed forum about how you wanted to join the Marines, and want to join military medicine because it's the next closest thing? And now you're ranting about how you desperately want to leave the country because you hate it so much? Because people drink in college? Also what exactly did you think Marines do in their spare time?

BTW if you want an enviornment where they're more sober and disciplined than us I don't think Europe is the way you want to go. I'd recommend China. Or North Korea. Make sure to send a postcard.

I still can't wrap my head around people who go nuts for college football or who pride themselves on their college's success in a sport, when I was always taught to pride yourself on the amazing academic name behind your school.

And believe it or not, not every American is wrapped up in football even if s/he goes to school in Florida. Heck, I grew up in a major college football town in Florida and I have never been to a single football game in my life. Just because there are some people who go crazy about sports and partying doesn't mean all Americans are like that or even that most are.

As people have been saying, it's kind of dangerous to classify an entire country that's as large as the US.

A case in point: in SoCal we are notorious (sometimes noxious) for ostentatious consumption - people like to show off the cars they drive, rank you by your wealth, etc. However, this is not how it is in Philadelphia or even Northern CA.

And in SoCal, where I lived for four years of my life, yet again you can find people who do not party all the time, and who rarely or never drink. At my college, I would say that my friends rarely ever felt the need to get drunk. Studying was a huge priority for almost all of us. Just because we were in college didn't mean we felt we had the license to act like idiots.

You really just have to work to find the people you're happy around. You can find them in SoCal, you can find them in Florida. Believe me, it's possible.

You can practice in places like Saudi Arabia. Hospitals are English-speaking, pretty good compensation + housing + car included (typically). I'd love to do that some day for a few years just for the experience of it all... not to mention the opportunities to learn Arabic, but that's more of a personal reason. Oh, plus the zero taxation for the first however many K earned is nice too.

And believe it or not, not every American is wrapped up in football even if s/he goes to school in Florida. Heck, I grew up in a major college football town in Florida and I have never been to a single football game in my life. Just because there are some people who go crazy about sports and partying doesn't mean all Americans are like that or even that most are.

As people have been saying, it's kind of dangerous to classify an entire country that's as large as the US.

Ha, well, you're the first one I've met. (Kidding) I understand the generalizations are negative. Unfortunately, when you come from another country, you experience as you go and you form judgments. Now this might not be great, but it's kind of how the human mind works and categorizes things. I'd say the most important thing is to just have an open mind. It's how I've stayed sane and learned a lot from my experiences. I also take it up the butt regularly from people in my class who like to make fun of my country and can't understand how it would ever get old. I don't even usually respond... But, anyways, it can be hard for people who are foreigners to come to the US, just as I'm sure it might be hard for an American to live abroad.

I'll tell you a little story about me. :) My school - which I love - is dominated by Canes and Gator fans or whatever fans and as intelligent as this individuals are, when it comes down to game time, people get downright stupid. I got asked 4 times in one night where I was going to watch the game when the Canes were playing the Gators a while back for the first time this season. First time someone asked me, I had to figure out who was playing who. I resented that my classmates assumed I was going out to watch the game. I've tried it several times, and I just can't appreciate it. After the 4th time that evening, I called my parents and told them that it's times like this when I get lonely. So my dad said "Find the intellectuals and hang out with them tonight" and I said "dad you don't get it, it's a cultural difference, half the smart people are watching the game". Ha, the horror... Anyways, I accept the cultural differences, and I know that not all schools or places are like this and most of the time people are normal. But come game time...and it's a cult world out there.

And in SoCal, where I lived for four years of my life, yet again you can find people who do not party all the time, and who rarely or never drink. At my college, I would say that my friends rarely ever felt the need to get drunk. Studying was a huge priority for almost all of us. Just because we were in college didn't mean we felt we had the license to act like idiots.

You really just have to work to find the people you're happy around. You can find them in SoCal, you can find them in Florida. Believe me, it's possible.

In any given area people are rarely homogeneous. You can always find people who are just as shy, smart, or awkward as you are. It's just that the ratio might be smaller. And yes, I have never seen anything wild in any of the colleges I have attended either. I know that CSU Long Beach is especially a party college, so you wouldn't want to attend there if you don't like that atmosphere. Many of the UCs are fine.

The recent Myers-Briggs personality poll showed that the majority of us here are intraverted. That is one reason why you see threads like this pop up. The best way to achieve balance towards the extraversion is to interact with a lot of people and try to learn. Avoiding a situation might prevent you from growing as a person. You can't always run.

I also take it up the butt regularly from people in my class who like to make fun of my country and can't understand how it would ever get old. I don't even usually respond... But, anyways, it can be hard for people who are foreigners to come to the US, just as I'm sure it might be hard for an American to live abroad.

I'll tell you a little story about me. :) My school - which I love - is dominated by Canes and Gator fans or whatever fans and as intelligent as this individuals are, when it comes down to game time, people get downright stupid. I got asked 4 times in one night where I was going to watch the game when the Canes were playing the Gators a while back for the first time this season. First time someone asked me, I had to figure out who was playing who. I resented that my classmates assumed I was going out to watch the game. I've tried it several times, and I just can't appreciate it. After the 4th time that evening, I called my parents and told them that it's times like this when I get lonely. So my dad said "Find the intellectuals and hang out with them tonight" and I said "dad you don't get it, it's a cultural difference, half the smart people are watching the game". Ha, the horror... Anyways, I accept the cultural differences, and I know that not all schools or places are like this and most of the time people are normal. But come game time...and it's a cult world out there.

Yeah, that's fair enough. Pretty accurate assessment of Florida, actually.

Anyway, if I end up at your school, we can hang out on football days/weekends ;) I'm not about to break my streak of never having been to a game! :D

P.S. And no, I don't make fun of Canada and never will. I rather liked it when I visited :).

[Sorry to kind of divert the thread].

Yeah, that's fair enough. Pretty accurate assessment of Florida, actually.

Anyway, if I end up at your school, we can hang out on football days/weekends ;) I'm not about to break my streak of never having been to a game! :D

P.S. And no, I don't make fun of Canada and never will. I rather liked it when I visited :).

[Sorry to kind of divert the thread].
hehe, luckily I've found people who care as much about football as I do :), but you can join the game day party at my place if you come to my school.

I stopped reading at this post, so I apologize if someone already hit on this. I can assure you the Danes love to drink, and party. In fact the alcohol consumption is Europe is generally higher than the US. People love to have fun, this phenomena is not isolated to the US. People in the age group of 16-25 tend to be the hardest partiers in all countries, so if you’re looking for peace and quiet on a college campus, you may want to start your own uni in the middle of the forest, on a private island, in the middle of the pacific, with you as the single enrolled student.

Denmark also has by far the most lax drug policy of the Scandinavian countries, so you may want to take your quest for a prohibitionist utopia elsewhere.

chill-pill.jpg

Ha, well, you're the first one I've met. (Kidding) I understand the generalizations are negative. Unfortunately, when you come from another country, you experience as you go and you form judgments. Now this might not be great, but it's kind of how the human mind works and categorizes things. I'd say the most important thing is to just have an open mind. It's how I've stayed sane and learned a lot from my experiences. I also take it up the butt regularly from people in my class who like to make fun of my country and can't understand how it would ever get old. I don't even usually respond... But, anyways, it can be hard for people who are foreigners to come to the US, just as I'm sure it might be hard for an American to live abroad.

I'm sorry but have you ever met soccer fans (oh sorry, football fans) in other countries? How about cricket fans for that matter? If you haven't I suggest you google "soccer riot" and do some reading. Have you been in a european city during the world cup? I find your assertions of cultural differences a little thin.

Listen I sympathize with your concerns. I live in Columbus and I'm not a college football fan. But I've traveled enough of the world to know that roudy alcohol guzzling sports fans are not unique to the US of A.

Last edited:
Ben Franklin enjoyed his ale and look where it got him.

:eyebrow: