Talk about Research if you're not doing MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nooblet

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seems like if I am not applying for MD/PhD but I say I like a school for its research it doesnt really make sense. Do regular MD people have opportunities for research also?

Members don't see this ad.

You can choose to be an MD who does research. I actually work for an MD doing neuroscience research.

MD students absolutely have research opportunities. Most schools encourage it and some residencies really like to see that sort of EC. Plus, most physicians at academic institutions (i.e. medical schools) are expected to perform some research as part of their faculty appointment.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's fine to say that you have an interest in research, but I wouldn't focus on it as the primary reason why you're going into medicine; they'll wonder why you're not going for a PhD. If you've done research they'll probably ask you about it during your interviews, but unless you've done some work that's directly related to your interviewer's specialty, be prepared for your interviewer to zone out after the first sentence.

Just don't overkill with research details if you're applying MD only. When you're writing about research experiences, write it as if your audience was non-pre-med,and nobody even knows what "pipetting" means. Just simple and to the point (after all, you're not going after MD/PhD)

Seems like if I am not applying for MD/PhD but I say I like a school for its research it doesnt really make sense. Do regular MD people have opportunities for research also?

i would

You will get asked, why not MD/PhD? Say you are clinically-focused, rather than basic science, that'll get you the point.

If you're basic scienc focused, you should consider MD/PhD :p

any more thoughts?

I did research in undergrad and I found it interesting. I'd like to do research in the medical field though. I feel I am prepared to talk about it if I was asked, but that it isn't the main component of my application. It just makes me a more well-rounded applicant. My stats aren't really high enough to apply MD/PhD, so I didn't.

I would say if you're interested in research you should mention it if it comes up in the flow of the conversation.

You will get asked, why not MD/PhD?

Agreed. At an internal interview at my UG school, I sang abt my research experiences only to be asked if I considered the MD/PhD route. Umm, no, because I don't think it's worth it for me to spend the extra 4-5 years for a degree I don't really care about...?? :confused:

Yeah, so it's great to talk about your research -- just think about your reasons why you don't want the PhD and be able to communicate them with confidence, unlike yours truly. :laugh:

I think it's wise, especially at private medical schools because that is where most of their funding comes from. However, only mention it if you have a sincere interst in doing some research as a physician, and as mentioned previously, be prepared for questions asking why not graduate school and why not MSTP.

I did research in undergrad and I found it interesting. I'd like to do research in the medical field though. I feel I am prepared to talk about it if I was asked, but that it isn't the main component of my application. It just makes me a more well-rounded applicant.

this is truth. DEFINITELY talk about your research as an undergrad. Hell I did basic research (biochem/molecular bio) for about 3.5 years (presentations, publications, etc) and talking about my research is what took up the bulk of my interview. I applied MD only and made it clear that my goal as a physician was to be a clinician, but that I planned on making research a part of my life in some capacity throughout my career. I also mentioned that since I have experience in basic sciences, I would like to try clinical research in medical school to see what I like better :laugh:

granted my interview was with a Dean, not some random clinical faculty, so maybe he understood the role basic science research can play in a medical career, but still there's a huge push to train all MDs to not only be caring clinicians, but critically thinking scientists. Doing basic science research doesn't have to be a career thing, but it can be more of a "training" sort of thing.

And also as mentioned earlier, you need some sort of research to be successful matching into certain residency programs, and these are the same programs that will likely require that you do at least one year of research (sometimes bench research) while you're in residency.

edit// also being able to discern the difference between an "intellectual pursuit" and "a job" shows you have the maturity that most idiot premeds so sorely lack. Saying you can't do research if it's not the focus of your career is like saying a garbage man can't write a best selling novel because he's not a "professional writer" Some things you do just for poops and giggles and have nothing to do with your job

Agreed. At an internal interview at my UG school, I sang abt my research experiences only to be asked if I considered the MD/PhD route. Umm, because I don't think it's worth it for me to spend the extra 4-5 years for a degree I don't really care about?? :confused:

Yeah, so it's great to talk about your research -- just think about your reasons why you don't want the PhD and be able to communicate them with confidence, unlike yours truly. :laugh:
Let me clarify my previous post:

Research in UG, med school and beyond is a well and worthwhile pursuit. But a PhD is not required for this, especially in the clinical capacity. I did NOT mean to imply that without a PhD, you could not do research. Personally, I hope to have a clinically-based career, though I plan to continue my involvement in research.