Talk to me about how we can improve our feedback and evaluation experience.

rbj

Sep 4, 2021
  1. Attending Physician
    I am a recently former associate program director in internal medicine. I would like to know, from a student and resident perspective, about your experiences with feedback and evaluation.

What is an example of a good feedback session? Do you have troubles with getting evaluations and how do you think we can improve it? If you could change anything about feedback and evaluations from faculty or program directors what would it be? Is there something your program is doing that is working well in giving quality feedback and providing quality assessments? What app/website design would you think aid better feedback/evaluation?

Thanks all! And best wishes to your academic year ahead.

IMGASMD

2+ Year Member
    Jan 24, 2017
      I am a recently former associate program director in internal medicine. I would like to know, from a student and resident perspective, about your experiences with feedback and evaluation.

What is an example of a good feedback session? Do you have troubles with getting evaluations and how do you think we can improve it? If you could change anything about feedback and evaluations from faculty or program directors what would it be? Is there something your program is doing that is working well in giving quality feedback and providing quality assessments? What app/website design would you think aid better feedback/evaluation?

What’s a “recently former” associate program director?

Are you no longer in academic? Are you promoted to PD?

Thank you.

rokshana

15+ Year Member
      Sep 20, 2004
      1. Attending Physician
        A while back, so not sure if still done, but evaluations by those other than attendings and residents is unnecessary…unless the reverse is allowed…it’s one sided and the power shift is definitely on those that are not being evaluated…basically nurses should not be evaluating residents.

And no, I didn’t get bad evaluations…I know how to feed them…

Reactions: 2 users
        About the Ads

bobow98

Beast Mode
        10+ Year Member
        Aug 15, 2009
        East Coast
        1. Attending Physician
          I think honestly that we should get an eval page like these:

I think instead of the bball ratings, we have others like:
          -Teamwork: Are you a dick looking out for yourself or actually making sure your comrades are OK?
          -Execution of Patient Plans: Do orders get placed and do patients get testing/results in a timely fashion? Are things missed that were discussed at rounds?
          -Presentation skills: Can you speak coherently and get a practical plan and your thoughts across under some pressure?
          -Differential dx development: Can you formulate a reasonable diagnosis?
          -Medical Knowledge: Do you know esoterica from NEJM and Journal of Clinical Oncology to impress your attending who doesn't give a **** what random tidbit you know because they are likely not gunning for whatever specialty you are gunning for?
          -Potential: Are you going to be the next Atul Guwande (I think he wrote some books, not totally sure bc I didn't read that BS)
          -Clinical Research Aptitude: Can you think of nice retrospective papers to spend lots of hours delving into to publish in a predatory journal to pad the CV?
          -Flirting with the nurses/social workers aka Multidisciplinary Network: Can you get the rest of the support team to work with and not against you?
          -Intangibles: No idea what this means, it's intangible, but you have to have it.

And then have a descriptive paragraph:
          Strengths - include quotes from other staff like "I saw him lift a patient off the floor solo, his back muscles looked really big."
          Weaknessess - "could use a shower now and then"

Attending comparison: You get the point.

Reactions: 1 users

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
          10+ Year Member
          Verified Expert
          Gold Member
          Sep 28, 2009
          1. Attending Physician

I found most evaluations to be relatively worthless. I would get conflicting feedback from some attendings who loved my ebullient personality and appreciated my willingness to put out a plan, and others (though few) who felt that my eagerness to put out a treatment plan and politely argue if there was a point I disagreed on made me arrogant. Those few negative reviews generally colored my evaluation session, and after residency all of these issues, along much of my annoyance with life, magically went away. Surprise!

Reactions: 3 users

SmokinJay6

5+ Year Member
            Oct 2, 2015
            1. Resident [Any Field]
              A- they are worthless

B- you really think I’m gonna be honest when it’s not anonymous and everyone above me is on a power trip lol

C- feedback sessions only focus on the negative parts. With how many lunatics there are in medicine you’d think admin would be intelligent enough to understand that at this point…

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.