Talking about a partisan political organization in a secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackshad-o

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently writing Loyola's secondary about social justice. During college, I was on the E-Board for our school's college democrats chapter and we did a lot of health policy activities like writing letters to our reps to urge them to vote no on harmful big pharma bills. I really want to be able to write about this experience because I think it fits well with the social justice theme. Is it bad if I explicitly mention my participation in the college democrats? It is already in my primary application anyway. I can't really think of any other way of describing this experience without saying I did it through the college democrats. I don't want to get too partisan/political though!

Thanks in advance everyone

Members don't see this ad.

I think if you want to include that experience, you should. Generally, the advice is to not mention politics or policy preferences because you run the risk that your views will differ from the person reviewing your application or conducting your interview which could impact how you are viewed. By stating your involvement in a political organization you are being political. Personally I wouldn’t go much deeper than that in terms of stating support for specific policies / legislation.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Loyola is located in one of the bluest counties in one of the bluest states in the country. You'll be fine.

Not OP, but I intern for a local left-leaning candidate. Would it be fine to include that in my W&A?

Not OP, but I intern for a local left-leaning candidate. Would it be fine to include that in my W&A?
That is a different question than a specific social justice question from a Jesuit school in a blue state (Jesuits are very into social justice.)
You can describe your duties in the internship without saying the candidate's affiliation. Anyone could look it up but most won't bother/won't care. I'd suggest that approach as the skills you practiced in the internship might be considered valuable.

Reactions: 5 users
As long as you don't say you love Oranges you will be fine this cycle :)

Reactions: 1 user
To the OP, I think looking at the schools mission might allow you to add or delete some texture from your statement., as @LizzyM so clearly pointed out. My personal opinion is that I really dont care about someones politics and you can get your point across without identifying what they are. Many people think all physicians are quite progressive and if you espouse these politics, they will find favor with your application. Many physicians are not. By all means discuss the causes, legislation, you support and champion, leave the politics neutral if possible. Good luck and best wishes!

Reactions: 1 user
That is a different question than a specific social justice question from a Jesuit school in a blue state (Jesuits are very into social justice.)
You can describe your duties in the internship without saying the candidate's affiliation. Anyone could look it up but most won't bother/won't care. I'd suggest that approach as the skills you practiced in the internship might be considered valuable.

Good to know, thank you! That was my plan.

lol at how it would look on your app if you were part of the Young Republican‘s club