Talking about exam failure in the personal statement !!!???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

R.S

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone ,

I am writing my personal statement to apply for internal medicine residency program , but I took my CS exam in the second attempt 40 days after I received my first result .
So , do you think I should talk about that in my personal statement ??

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone ,

I am writing my personal statement to apply for internal medicine residency program , but I took my CS exam in the second attempt 40 days after I received my first result .
So , do you think I should talk about that in my personal statement ??

-i indicated my USMLE failure in my PS and tlaked about what i realized my limitations, learned from it and ultimatley improved my score, etc. etc.
-ultimate decisin is up to you but they may feel you are dishonest if you don't mention this

okay , thanks for your response ....Actually, I agree with you , and I think it will be better if I talk about it . But I don't have an idea about the program's reaction towards talking about failing ; and that's why I would like to know about what is the best to do in this case .

okay , thanks for your response ....Actually, I agree with you , and I think it will be better if I talk about it . But I don't have an idea about the program's reaction towards talking about failing ; and that's why I would like to know about what is the best to do in this case .
Their reaction will be unpredictable. That's life.

What is predictable however is that, if they see a Step failure on your transcript, and then don't see you address it in your PS, they will politely decline to interview you. Taking responsibility for and learning from your failures (and successes) is part of being an adult, and is a major part of residency and lifelong practice as a physician. Start now.

Reactions: 1 users
You are totally right ..... If I was a program director , I would respect the one who is talking about his failure more .
So , I think the better is to mention that failure .
Thanks alot , I really appreciate your replies .

IDK... I've heard mixed opinions about this. Some people tell me to avoid bringing up shortcoming unless being asked about it...

IDK... I've heard mixed opinions about this. Some people tell me to avoid bringing up shortcoming unless being asked about it...
It's one thing to bring up that you're a slow reader or something. It's entirely different when there's a blazing red flag on your application and you don't explain it.

Reactions: 2 users
When I applied to grad school, 20 years after undergrad, I was encouraged to address my undergrad GPA (which was really low) in my personal statement, which I did. I am almost done with my degree and there are no issues whatsoever regarding my GPA. So, yes, address why you failed and/or what you learned as a result of your performance.

Thank you for telling me that , I am completely convinced now that I should mention it in my personal statement .
Besides , there is no reason to hide such an information , because they will know about it any way .

Give them the tools to have someone fight for your application. E.g. What about this guy? he looks cool. Oh but he failed a thing. *silence* vs...What about this guy, he's cool. Oh wait he failed a thing. Yeah but he says that's because of (perfectly normal reason) and re took it right away. Good point, let's invite him!

Actually , I don't know if I can mention a resonable reason for that failure , but I will talk about what success I did after that failure , and how it affect me in a positive way .

Reactions: 1 user