Talking about Future Plans in Secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcdnak

Reaction score
On my submitted secondaries, I mentioned my current part-time job as the activity I'm doing during my gap year. However, I totally forgot to discuss a volunteer position at a clinic I was planning on beginning in the fall, because I hadn't actually started there yet. I know admissions usually puts more stock into things you've done vs. things you're planning on doing, but should I have talked about the volunteering gig as well? It sucks because it was something I was really excited for, but with COVID and secondaries piling up, it kind of fell by the wayside. Is there a way I can still talk about this activity once I start in a few months (perhaps via update letter?), or should I just cut my losses? I'm hoping I can at least talk about it during interviews, but we'll see.

Cheers and thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

On my submitted secondaries, I mentioned my current part-time job as the activity I'm doing during my gap year. However, I totally forgot to discuss a volunteer position at a clinic I was planning on beginning in the fall, because I hadn't actually started there yet. I know admissions usually puts more stock into things you've done vs. things you're planning on doing, but should I have talked about the volunteering gig as well? It sucks because it was something I was really excited for, but with COVID and secondaries piling up, it kind of fell by the wayside. Is there a way I can still talk about this activity once I start in a few months (perhaps via update letter?), or should I just cut my losses? I'm hoping I can at least talk about it during interviews, but we'll see.

Cheers and thanks for the help.
agree with gonnif. What you COULD do though, once you accumulate some time there, you can send an update letter closer to the end of the year. Thats what i did for schools that were on top of my priority list.

Reactions: 1 user
agree with gonnif. What you COULD do though, once you accumulate some time there, you can send an update letter closer to the end of the year. Thats what i did for schools that were on top of my priority list.

Thanks M&L, that's good advice. I'll definitely consider that when the time comes!