Talking about House MD in the PS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JimmyB123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently gave someone my PS to edit and I got slammed pretty badly for talking about the tv show House MD. I spent a little paragraph talking about how it peaked my interest because it was so interesting and unlike many of the medical tv shows that glamorize medicine the wrong ways.

Is my friend right? Is talking about House a huge blunder in the PS?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
It glamorizes medicine in the wrong ways...

Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
House does? Or are you just being a grammar natzi lol?
It definitely isn't realistic.

I am skeptical about it's place in a PS, and my initial reaction is to leave it out. However, I won't be applying for another year and a half, so you should wait for better insight.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh god, please don't do this. I recently thought I would re-watch House from the beginning, and I couldn't make it past the first couple episodes. The "medical" part of the storyline is just so so so cringeworthy to anyone who has experience in medicine. Really, a neurologist and an immunologist scrubbing in on all the surgeries? Diagnosticians suggesting differential diagnoses that make zero sense? Give me a break.

Also, things "pique" your interest, not "peak."

Reactions: 20 users
Sounds like an unnecessary risk. What do you have to gain from putting that in? I don't think it will earn you points, it will probably lose more people than it wins.

Oh god, please don't do this. I recently thought I would re-watch House from the beginning, and I couldn't make it past the first couple episodes. The "medical" part of the storyline is just so so so cringeworthy to anyone who has experience in medicine. Really, a neurologist and an immunologist scrubbing in on all the surgeries? Give me a break.

Also, things "pique" your interest, not "peak."

But doctors can still break into their patients' homes right?

Reactions: 11 users
But doctors can still break into their patients' homes right?

Yet another infuriating thing.

Out of all the medical shows out there, the one that most closely resembles actual life in the hospital is probably Scrubs. No joke.

I still wouldn't talk about Scrubs in a PS though. :p

Reactions: 11 users
I echo the previous posters urging you not to do this.

Good luck to you, OP.

As a side note, if you end up using the phrase in you application, you probably mean "piqued my interest" not peaked.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you all. much needed advice here. i will definitely take this out.

but man, i love the show!

thank you all. much needed advice here. i will definitely take this out.

but man, i love the show!

I'll give you that it's an entertaining show for the lay-public. I watched it all through high school and into college, probably about 5 seasons. But I challenge you to watch it again once you get through part of med school, and you'll probably think differently about how it portrays medicine.

I'll give you that it's an entertaining show for the lay-public. I watched it all through high school and into college, probably about 5 seasons. But I challenge you to watch it again once you get through part of med school, and you'll probably think differently about how it portrays medicine.

Out of curiosity, do you also feel that way about slightly more realistic shows like Scrubs at this point in your medical education?

Unless you are making a statement that you understand medicine IS NOT like House MD - you should NOT include it in your PS.

If you wanted to say "Volunteering at the ED for X months made me realize how different the real world is from the reality TV shows such as HOUSE MD..." then it's appropriate.

If you think it's like those TV shows... your going to have so much fun finding out about medicine in the future.
PS. Glee does not shadow what a teacher does either :mad:

Out of curiosity, do you also feel that way about slightly more realistic shows like Scrubs at this point in your medical education?

A few classmates and I have been re-watching Scrubs, and it's still excellent.

Side note: the "Everything Comes Down to Poo" song from the musical episode was stuck in my head for all of GI.

Reactions: 5 users
OP that's completely wrong. Why would you ever mention House?

I based my PS around Scrubs.

Reactions: 3 users
One of my residents wrote a screenplay that was awarded an Emmy (on ER). After the editors finished re-writing it, even she could barely watch it without cringing.

Hmm..I'm surprised. I would think that EM could be portrayed well on TV.

The only shows that I have watched just for the "medicine" have been those like Hopkins, NY Med etc.

I watched Scrubs, but that's mainly because it was hilarious (up until the later seasons at least).

Not when it's a drama show that just happens to be in an ED. The drama storylines are more important to them than actually getting the medicine right, because the majority of the viewers won't know if it's right or wrong anyway.

That's my main beef with House. When they're brainstorming what a patient has and throwing out random diseases, a lot of them don't fit what's going on, they're just saying those things to sound impressive to the lay-public. :p

OP that's completely wrong. Why would you ever mention House?

I based my PS around Scrubs.

You based it around Scrubs? Well, I didn't base my PS off of House, I just mentioned it. I like the show b/c the cases are complex and patients are high-acuity. And I like looking things up when they talk about things lol.

You based it around Scrubs? Well, I didn't base my PS off of House, I just mentioned it. I like the show b/c the cases are complex and patients are high-acuity. And I like looking things up when they talk about things lol.

Lol no of course I did not base it around scrubs, I was kidding.

I think it would be better to say that you fulfilled those interests via shadowing, not due to the TV show.

I believe it was sarcasm haha

Not when it's a drama show that just happens to be in an ED. The drama storylines are more important to them than actually getting the medicine right, because the majority of the viewers won't know if it's right or wrong anyway.

That's my main beef with House. When they're brainstorming what a patient has and throwing out random diseases, a lot of them don't fit what's going on, they're just saying those things to sound impressive to the lay-public. :p

Yeah and they spend so much time on one patient...

Lol no of course I did not base it around scrubs, I was kidding.

I think it would be better to say that you fulfilled those interests via shadowing, not due to the TV show.

Lol okay makes sense.

Out of all the medical shows out there, the one that most closely resembles actual life in the hospital is probably Scrubs. No joke.

We described the ED as M*A*S*H without the war. But the most realistic medically related show in the last 20 years is definitely Scrubs.

TV needs fodder for story lines and medicine is full of actual drama. The technical aspects tend to be trampled in favor of perceived needs of the script.

When I saw that one episode of House where they had this surgery robot da Vinci-like thing, I lol'd hard. It had a joy stick. :rofl:

When I saw that one episode of House where they had this surgery robot da Vinci-like thing, I lol'd hard. It had a joy stick. :rofl:

If it's the epsiode I'm thinking it is, that didn't end well for the patient.

intubationrobot.jpg

The early versions of many devices use joysticks as controls. This is the Kepler intubation system, using a Thrustmaster T-flight HOTAS joystick as a control mechanism. If I'm not mistaken, early models of the Davinci used similar consumer electronic controls.

Reactions: 2 users
No, lol. The thing sliced him up the middle!

Exactly what I was thinking :laugh:

Greys anatomy is definitely the most realistic. Where else could you drown, and legit be dead for like 3 episodes straight, then wake up and be completely fine? ;)

The medicine isn't why I watch that though :oops:

intubationrobot.jpg

The early versions of many devices use joysticks as controls. This is the Kepler intubation system, using a Thrustmaster T-flight HOTAS joystick as a control mechanism. If I'm not mistaken, early models of the Davinci used similar consumer electronic controls.
The one in house was pretty obviously a prop, though. With an Atari joystick if I remember.

The one in house was pretty obviously a prop, though. With an Atari joystick if I remember.
I'm just sayin', early models are pretty hard to tell from props. Hell, even the IR controllers for the bed and equipment we have look like cheap joystick setups. If I took a picture you'd swear I was joking.

That episode of House was totally ridiculous though, as were most.

I'm just sayin', early models are pretty hard to tell from props. Hell, even the IR controllers for the bed and equipment we have look like cheap joystick setups. If I took a picture you'd swear I was joking.

That episode of House was totally ridiculous though, as were most.
If it works, it doesn't have to look pretty. And yeah, most house episodes were kind of "eh". For some reason I can't watch too much of it without getting a headache. Maybe it's the fact that everything on the show is a weird blue, grey color.

For some reason I can't watch too much of it without getting a headache. Maybe it's the fact that everything on the show is a weird blue, grey color.

This would happen to me too when I would watch it. I thought I was the only one!

Exactly what I was thinking :laugh:

Greys anatomy is definitely the most realistic. Where else could you drown, and legit be dead for like 3 episodes straight, then wake up and be completely fine? ;)

The medicine isn't why I watch that though :oops:

I watched Greys from day 1. Haven't seen the last 2 seasons (pretty much stopped after all the aftermath of the helicopter crash) because a lot of my favorites were already gone and the drama was just TOO much.

If it works, it doesn't have to look pretty. And yeah, most house episodes were kind of "eh". For some reason I can't watch too much of it without getting a headache. Maybe it's the fact that everything on the show is a weird blue, grey color.
I liked the first two seasons as a film/theater nut, but from a clinician's perspective they were awful. I really liked the filters they used though, they really helped add to the atmosphere of the show.

intubationrobot.jpg

Lol is this an endoscopy? Fancy robot

I based my PS on Seinfeld, personally

One of my residents wrote a screenplay that was awarded an Emmy (on ER). After the editors finished re-writing it, even she could barely watch it without cringing.

The "Love's Labor Lost" episode?

I watched Greys from day 1. Haven't seen the last 2 seasons (pretty much stopped after all the aftermath of the helicopter crash) because a lot of my favorites were already gone and the drama was just TOO much.

Well, they're never short on drama. I cried like a baby after the plane crash. :oops: But these past two seasons were crazy on the drama, but harder to follow since there were too many subplots happening at the same time.

The "Love's Labor Lost" episode?

Such a sad one :(

Absolutely 100% correct by far. They did an excellent job really portraying the reality of what it is like for a resident working in a hospital, the ethical dilemmas that happen all the time, etc.

I based my PS on the Human Centipede. Worked.