Talking about mental illness in PS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Schadenfreude

T or F: You can get mono from riding the monorail.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently working on my PS and am unsure whether or not I should talk about mental illness, a topic that is sadly and unfortunately stigmatized in society. Mental illness is something that has had a profound impact on my reasons to pursue medicine. Unlike most posters on here who ask about this issue, I want to make it clear that I myself do NOT have any history of mental illness. Rather, someone very close to me (i.e. sibling, parent, spouse, etc) suffers from a particular mental illness. There were times several years ago when the disease prevented this person from functioning normally. I remember going to countless appointments with psychiatrists and seeing this person be hospitalized several times to stabilize the condition.

Fast forward to today, this person is now doing wonderfully. Thanks to advances in medications, the person is able to function normally. In fact, you would never know this person even has a mental illness because they show absolutely no outward signs of it.

I'm very thankful for modern medicine and how it was miraculously able to change my life and this person's life for the better. But, even more so, the part I'll never forget were the physicians involved. Their abilities to simultaneously treat, console, and monitor this person and their disease amazed me all those years ago and has given me the drive to one day become a physician so that I may hopefully do the same to my future patients.

Anyways, would this story be okay to include in my PS? In addition to being a taboo topic, this particular mental illness, like many diseases, has genetic components to it. Again, while I do not have this disease nor do I suffer from any other mental illnesses, I worry that adcom members may think that I could develop this disease later in life which could prevent me from being able to practice medicine and, thus, maybe I shouldn't be accepted to medical school. I realize this thought is a bit far-fetched, but it still lingers on my mind.

Sorry for the long wall of text. I would really appreciate any input on this matter.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
probably a good thing if written well.

...but yeah, talking about your own mental illness is a big no-no.

I'm currently working on my PS and am unsure whether or not I should talk about mental illness, a topic that is sadly and unfortunately stigmatized in society. Mental illness is something that has had a profound impact on my reasons to pursue medicine. Unlike most posters on here who ask about this issue, I want to make it clear that I myself do NOT have any history of mental illness. Rather, someone very close to me (i.e. sibling, parent, spouse, etc) suffers from a particular mental illness. There were times several years ago when the disease prevented this person from functioning normally. I remember going to countless appointments with psychiatrists and seeing this person be hospitalized several times to stabilize the condition.

Fast forward to today, this person is now doing wonderfully. Thanks to advances in medications, the person is able to function normally. In fact, you would never know this person even has a mental illness because they show absolutely no outward signs of it.

I'm very thankful for modern medicine and how it was miraculously able to change my life and this person's life for the better. But, even more so, the part I'll never forget were the physicians involved. Their abilities to simultaneously treat, console, and monitor this person and their disease amazed me all those years ago and has given me the drive to one day become a physician so that I may hopefully do the same to my future patients.

Anyways, would this story be okay to include in my PS? In addition to being a taboo topic, this particular mental illness, like many diseases, has genetic components to it. Again, while I do not have this disease nor do I suffer from any other mental illnesses, I worry that adcom members may think that I could develop this disease later in life which could prevent me from being able to practice medicine and, thus, maybe I shouldn't be accepted to medical school. I realize this thought is a bit far-fetched, but it still lingers on my mind.

Sorry for the long wall of text. I would really appreciate any input on this matter.

Your worry is not a "bit far-fetched". It is so, so incredibly far-fetched. They won't do that.

An applicant talking about their own mental illness may be taboo.
Talking about how a family member's mental illness affected your view of medicine, is incredibly common, possibly borderline cliche.

Members don't see this ad :)
^Agree that your worry is incredibly far-fetched. I'm pretty sure adcom wouldn't do that. Don't worry!

In my opinion, don't worry about whether the topic is too common or borderline cliche or too touchy, etc.
If that's honestly one of the reasons why you decided to pursue a career as a physician, then go ahead and write about it! :)
As long as you answer the question "why medicine" wholeheartedly and honestly, i'm sure it'll turn out fine.

gyngyn once said that sick relatives (specifically grandparents, but I'm extrapolating) are amongst the most common things he's seen on personal statements. Here are a few things to think about:

1) Why psychiatry and not any other mental health profession?
2) It sounds like your relative is amongst the most positive outcomes of any mental health patient. Have you seen any patients that did not have as much of a positive outcome, and how did that affect your interest in medicine? It happens all the time. Only about half of depressed patients respond to SSRIs, for example. Many of your patients will NOT be able to function normally, even after you've given them the standard of care. Will that affect your drive to become a psychiatrist?

Quite OK to mention.

Thanks for all the responses everyone! I actually am not worried about the cliche aspect of it, as I know many personal statements talk about illnesses of family members. Rather, I was more concerned about the taboo aspect of it since it involves mental illness. But it seems that the subject is okay in this case for my personal statement.

What I am wondering now is how in-depth should I go in disclosing details on my personal statement (i.e. name of the disease, symptoms involved, personal incidents with regards to the disease, etc)? I want to paint an accurate picture of this disease and how it has affected my drive to become a physician, but, at the same time, I don't want to give away too much that it either starts becoming a "sob story" or that it freaks out readers, if that makes sense.

gyngyn once said that sick relatives (specifically grandparents, but I'm extrapolating) are amongst the most common things he's seen on personal statements. Here are a few things to think about:

1) Why psychiatry and not any other mental health profession?
2) It sounds like your relative is amongst the most positive outcomes of any mental health patient. Have you seen any patients that did not have as much of a positive outcome, and how did that affect your interest in medicine? It happens all the time. Only about half of depressed patients respond to SSRIs, for example. Many of your patients will NOT be able to function normally, even after you've given them the standard of care. Will that affect your drive to become a psychiatrist?

To clarify, I never stated that I wanted to be a psychiatrist. Yes, I have been around psychiatrists a lot, but I also have observed other types of physicians through clinical volunteering and shadowing. Like most pre-meds, I don't know what type of physician I would like to be and, therefore, my personal statement will not focus on psychiatry or any other speciality for that matter.

Just my own personal opinion, but I think if you do not name the specific mental illness, your PS has a high likelihood of 'tip-toeing' around the plain facts, which frankly (again, IMO) further stigmatizes the illness. For example, the symptoms and impacts of a schizophrenic brother will be very different from those of a depressed father, bipolar mother or anorexic sister. Spit it out -- plainly but kindly. Doctors need to be sensitive and empathetic, but to be effective, can't tip-toe around the facts. Sugar-coating and side-stepping contributes to the stigma and shame of mental illness

If you can face and treat the illness and still truly see and love the person -- that's a valuable lesson. Working with physicians who can do this -- that's inspiring. And becoming one of those physicians is a worthy ambition.

Reactions: 1 user
You're good as long as it's not your own mental illness. In fact, a well-written piece about how family illness affected your decision to pursue medicine can be very compelling. A personal reason that hits home can make people into compassionate, understanding doctors.