Talking about personal health problem in Dental School SOP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agha

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! So I started writing my essay and I talked about a health problem that I have. This health problem truly was one of the important reasons I wanted to get into health sector. Now that I am half way through I started being concerned if this is a bad thing to write in my essay because dental schools may just look down on it. Could you please share your thoughts? I am very stressed out about this.

Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

I have seen people post similar situations and being advised to not go that route in their ps. I personally would not go down that path.

From what I understand, schools want to read about overcoming struggles. You should absolutely talk about your story and the fact that your health situation is what led you to dentistry.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have seen people post similar situations and being advised to not go that route in their ps. I personally would not go down that path.

I know some people that got into dental school discussing overcoming cancer. I don't agree with having to hide this.

Imo..a personal statement should introduce yourself and your motivations for dentistry as a career

Depends on what your health problem is. Is it ongoing? Is it psychiatric? Would it compromise your ability to succeed in dental school or put your patients at an increased risk?

Personally I wouldn't have done it because, like many people with disabling conditions, I choose not to let my health problems define who I am. There is another section on the AADSAS app to talk about disadvantages/overcoming obstacles anyway. I suppose it's all about how you frame it, though.

You also don't want to only talk about your reasons for going into the "health sector;" it's important to relate your experiences specifically to dentistry. Otherwise you're leaving room for the adcoms to ask, "why not medicine?"

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on what your health problem is. Is it ongoing? Is it psychiatric? Would it compromise your ability to succeed in dental school or put your patients at an increased risk?

Personally I wouldn't have done it because, like many people with disabling conditions, I choose not to let my health problems define who I am. There is another section on the AADSAS app to talk about disadvantages/overcoming obstacles anyway. I suppose it's all about how you frame it, though.

You also don't want to only talk about your reasons for going into the "health sector;" it's important to relate your experiences specifically to dentistry. Otherwise you're leaving room for the adcoms to ask, "why not medicine?"
Well to be honest I have a neurological disease. I am under treatment and thankfully nothing has been wrong so far. I definitely am not trying to define myself with my disease but more like a passion for helping people with their health problems. In my current draft I put my experience with my doctor and an experience I had during my shadowing a dentist. It's more like how I actually understood dentistry is the right choice for me. Do you think still thats bad to put?

Well to be honest I have a neurological disease. I am under treatment and thankfully nothing has been wrong so far. I definitely am not trying to define myself with my disease but more like a passion for helping people with their health problems. In my current draft I put my experience with my doctor and an experience I had during my shadowing a dentist. It's more like how I actually understood dentistry is the right choice for me. Do you think still thats bad to put?

Yeah I'd say that's a bit risky. Dental schools can legally discriminate against applicants with certain medical conditions if there is reason to believe that they won't be able to complete the program. Regardless of your specific condition and prognosis, "neurological disease" is not what an admissions office would want to hear. Even if it is not a psych/cognitive issue, they might wonder whether you have adequate fine motor control of your hands. It's not about what your current and future abilities actually are; it's that you'll be raising those questions. What you can do is discuss your relationship with your doctor without commenting on the specifics of the disease. Be as much of a descriptive story-teller as you can be, as long as you don't lead the admissions officers down the wrong direction.

I had a severe neurological condition when I was younger, and it is probably the biggest thing in my life that has shaped who I am and has allowed me to be resilient in the toughest situations. Yet, I didn't mention it on my application because I didn't want to give dental schools an unintended, wrong impression of my abilities. It was very difficult to keep quiet about it, but ultimately I was glad I didn't say anything. Again, this is just my personal opinion, though.

As long as you can spin it on why you are choosing dentistry and not neuroscience or becoming a neurosurgeon, then I feel you should be okay.

However, the biggest concern is if this will be an issue for you while in dental school or in the future. Like the other poster said, will this put anyone else at risk? If this is not an issue under your treatment and the admissions committee can understand this, then I would proceed. Unique stories of overcoming issues and discussing your journey toward dentistry is what a personal statement is about; not introducing who you are and your motivations. This can be discussed upon interview when asked "Tell me about yourself." and "Why dentistry?"

If someone can debate why you are not a candidate based on this disease, then it is a different story. I would suggest asking professionals you know and trust in your life. Everyone on here can only provide opinions, and while with good intentions, may or may not be the best advice.

Yeah I'd say that's a bit risky. Dental schools can legally discriminate against applicants with certain medical conditions if there is reason to believe that they won't be able to complete the program. Regardless of your specific condition and prognosis, "neurological disease" is not what an admissions office would want to hear. Even if it is not a psych/cognitive issue, they might wonder whether you have adequate fine motor control of your hands. It's not about what your current and future abilities actually are; it's that you'll be raising those questions. What you can do is discuss your relationship with your doctor without commenting on the specifics of the disease. Be as much of a descriptive story-teller as you can be, as long as you don't lead the admissions officers down the wrong direction.

I had a severe neurological condition when I was younger, and it is probably the biggest thing in my life that has shaped who I am and has allowed me to be resilient in the toughest situations. Yet, I didn't mention it on my application because I didn't want to give dental schools an unintended, wrong impression of my abilities. It was very difficult to keep quiet about it, but ultimately I was glad I didn't say anything. Again, this is just my personal opinion, though.
Thank you so much. It is really helpful to hear this from you I really appreciate your help.

As long as you can spin it on why you are choosing dentistry and not neuroscience or becoming a neurosurgeon, then I feel you should be okay.

However, the biggest concern is if this will be an issue for you while in dental school or in the future. Like the other poster said, will this put anyone else at risk? If this is not an issue under your treatment and the admissions committee can understand this, then I would proceed. Unique stories of overcoming issues and discussing your journey toward dentistry is what a personal statement is about; not introducing who you are and your motivations. This can be discussed upon interview when asked "Tell me about yourself." and "Why dentistry?"

If someone can debate why you are not a candidate based on this disease, then it is a different story. I would suggest asking professionals you know and trust in your life. Everyone on here can only provide opinions, and while with good intentions, may or may not be the best advice.
You are right. Maybe talking to someone who's in this profession could be helpful. Thanks a lot for your responses.

I would recommend against disclosing or discussing this condition as your own. Risk of discrimination is too high.
Describe the experience as one your close relative went/going through. Mention how you were involved, how it shaped and changed you

I would recommend against disclosing or discussing this condition as your own. Risk of discrimination is too high.
Describe the experience as one your close relative went/going through. Mention how you were involved, how it shaped and changed you
Exactly.

Thank you both for your help.