Talking with professor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turkishking

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently took a online quiz for my history course. We have had 3 quizzes so far, and on two I received a 8/10. Well, I was taking the third one a hour ago. We have 25 minutes to take the quiz. I was answering every question fine, and the quizzes are simple. I had 14 minutes remaining on my quiz, then it increased to 16 minutes for some odd reason. Then my answers weren't being saved. I knew something was wrong, so I clicked submit. And it said I received a 2/10.

Additionally, it says

Started 9/28/17 9:02 PM
Submitted 9/28/17 9:02 PM

So it was out of my control. My internet was fine. The quizzes are worth 20%. We have 10 quizzes. I emailed the professor, but, if he doesn't do anything about it, should I complain?

Members don't see this ad.

Why did you click submit when your answers weren't being saved?

Did you take screenshots of any of this?

Don't "complain" but professionally state that there was a technical error with your online quiz (briefly explain the issue as you did here).

Reactions: 3 users
Why did you click submit when your answers weren't being saved?

Did you take screenshots of any of this?

Don't "complain" but professionally state that there was a technical error with your online quiz (briefly explain the issue as you did here).
I clicked submit because I knew something happened and my answers weren't saving. Was I supposed to wait there for 10 minutes to see my time increasing when it should be decreasing? I didn't know what to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why don't you wait until tomorrow and see what the professor says, before you get all fired up? Document what you saw and point out the time-stamp.

If he says no your grade goes down 1.8%, just like if you got sick or had a break-up before an exam. Sometimes things aren't fair and you don't get a do-over.

Reactions: 1 user
Just explain to the professor that you had a technical issue that is of no fault of your own as you did here.
Worst case is that you get a 2/10 on a quiz that counts for 2% of your final grade.
Don't lose sleep over it man.

Just explain to the professor that you had a technical issue that is of no fault of your own as you did here.
Worst case is that you get a 2/10 on a quiz that counts for 2% of your final grade.
Don't lose sleep over it man.
True

Last edited:
It's just annoying. And I'm pretty upset. But what can I do? Nothing. But wait for what he says. And if he says tough luck. Well then. Still nothing.
Hey, it happens... Life just sucks sometimes.
If it makes you feel any better, I got sick for the entirety of last week and got completely left behind in assignments, including those that profs don't give extensions for.
Take a deep breath.

This guy only teaches one class, twice a week and he can't respond to an email. PhD in a history related field for what reason? Teaching adjunct? graduating from two Ivy leagues?

I don't think it's drama. It's frustration on my end.

Mindsets like this would destroy you in med school or further down the road... Chill out.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm just going to politely talk to him on Tuesday because he can't reply to a simple message. Not my fault.

Members don't see this ad :)
Idk guys 1.8% could be the difference between an A- and an A.

I recently took a online quiz for my history course. We have had 3 quizzes so far, and on two I received a 8/10. Well, I was taking the third one a hour ago. We have 25 minutes to take the quiz. I was answering every question fine, and the quizzes are simple. I had 14 minutes remaining on my quiz, then it increased to 16 minutes for some odd reason. Then my answers weren't being saved. I knew something was wrong, so I clicked submit. And it said I received a 2/10.

Additionally, it says

Started 9/28/17 9:02 PM
Submitted 9/28/17 9:02 PM

So it was out of my control. My internet was fine. The quizzes are worth 20%. We have 10 quizzes. I emailed the professor, but, if he doesn't do anything about it, should I complain?[/QUOTE

IMO, history professors are pretty cool and usually happy to work with you. Shoot him an email ASAP and follow up with him after the next class. I bet it will be fine.

Never had a professor who replied to emails within 1 day

Reactions: 2 users
You realize that it is the professor's JOB that he is PAID FOR to respond to OP's comment in a timely manner?

A lot of those profs teach at more than one school and keep pretty busy.

We're ALL busy. If you're too busy to manage a class, don't sign up to teach the class. Or at the very least, don't try to shift blame and act like it's not your fault.

Mindsets like this would destroy you in med school or further down the road... Chill out.

I don't even know how to respond to this. This person seems especially slow in the head.

You realize that it is the professor's JOB that he is PAID FOR to respond to OP's comment in a timely manner?

We're ALL busy. If you're too busy to manage a class, don't sign up to teach the class. Or at the very least, don't try to shift blame and act like it's not your fault.

I don't even know how to respond to this. This person seems especially slow in the head.
I do agree with the first part, but not the slow part. This is the second time the professor has done this to me.

Wow folks been a day or so.

Professors and other faculty tend to be incredibly busy people and it isn't dictated by the number of classes they teach or the number of students they have in their classes. Often there's committees, research, admin stuff, boatloads of meetings, etc. Sheesh, my lab director was usually triple booked for meetings 60-70% of the time.

Yes he should respond, but I tend not to get too worried until it hits the week mark.

Another possibility is he could be looking into it before he responds and that might require him to talk to IT or something.

If it was a technological error he will most likely reopen the quiz for you to take again. This is what my professors in undergrad would do when an online quiz would mess up.

Reactions: 2 users
Professors and other faculty tend to be incredibly busy people and it isn't dictated by the number of classes they teach or the number of students they have in their classes. Often there's committees, research, admin stuff, boatloads of meetings, etc. Sheesh, my lab director was usually triple booked for meetings 60-70% of the time.

Yes he should respond, but I tend not to get too worried until it hits the week mark.

And premeds have other classes, shadowing, research, studying for the MCAT, volunteering, etc. "Sorry I missed the deadline for the final project, but I was busy. You should understand" right?

And yeah, the professor doesn't have to respond immediately. I agree that a week seems like a good deadline. However, OP stated that s/he has had the same problem with this professor before. Big question mark.

And premeds have other classes, shadowing, research, studying for the MCAT, volunteering, etc. "Sorry I missed the deadline for the final project, but I was busy. You should understand" right?

And yeah, the professor doesn't have to respond immediately. I agree that a week seems like a good deadline. However, OP stated that s/he has had the same problem with this professor before. Big question mark.

Yeah, but maybe by same problem he again means not responding in a whole day. A prof. responding in an hour like he mentioned for comparison is certainly in the minority.

All the rest of us are saying is that he should just try to relax for a bit before assuming the worst and give it a few days.

Is this professor an adjunct?
Yes. He teaches one class 2 days a week.

And he doesn't teach any where else.

I wouldn't have taken this course, but its a requirement.

Something very similar to this happened to me in physics. Two of our five questions were graded incorrectly on an online quiz, so marking every correct answer choice got you a 30/50. You're probably not the only one that experienced the trouble, but even if you are, showing that you started and submitted the same minute is probably enough to convince your prof that there was some kind of glitch.

A few of the people in my class went to the prof and asked her about it, and she fixed it and gave everyone another attempt. No big deal.

Also, some profs are extremely slow about emails. That same prof literally never responded to my emails. She would simply address it in the next lecture. Very frustrating.

Something very similar to this happened to me in physics. Two of our five questions were graded incorrectly on an online quiz, so marking every correct answer choice got you a 30/50. You're probably not the only one that experienced the trouble, but even if you are, showing that you started and submitted the same minute is probably enough to convince your prof that there was some kind of glitch.

A few of the people in my class went to the prof and asked her about it, and she fixed it and gave everyone another attempt. No big deal.

Also, some profs are extremely slow about emails. That same prof literally never responded to my emails. She would simply address it in the next lecture. Very frustrating.
I was reading an email he sent out to the class prior the quiz. It said "No retakes." But I mean, my issue wasn't that I forgot or anything. It was simply a technological error which hopefully he sees. If not, oh well. With perfect quiz scores from here on out, I can achieve a 88 quiz overall. But it would be nice if he could do something about it. Nothing wrong in asking.

I was reading an email he sent out to the class prior the quiz. It said "No retakes." But I mean, my issue wasn't that I forgot or anything. It was simply a technological error which hopefully he sees. If not, oh well. With perfect quiz scores from here on out, I can achieve a 88 quiz overall. But it would be nice if he could do something about it. Nothing wrong in asking.
Just sitting here and thinking I could have gotten a 10/10

Then again, we already get yelled at for not responding to emails or completing patient writeups within 24 hours :p

So he sent out two emails to the class which were very lengthy, and he never even touched upon my message. I'm taking to this to the head of the department. This is the second time and I am extremely pissed off. He even canceled class tomorrow. Why? YOU only teach one class dingus.

Last edited:
So he sent out two emails to the class which were very lengthy, and he never even touched upon my message. I'm taking to this to the head of the department. This is the second time and I am extremely pissed off. He even canceled class tomorrow. Why? YOU only teach one class dingus.

Bro, chill.

Have you tried dropping into his office hours to talk about it in person? Emails get lost sometimes, life happens to professors too. Going straight to the head of the department over a quiz seems like a great way to burn bridges unnecessarily.

Bro, chill.

Have you tried dropping into his office hours to talk about it in person? Emails get lost sometimes, life happens to professors too. Going straight to the head of the department over a quiz seems like a great way to burn bridges unnecessarily.
Yeah my email got lost when he only teaches like 50 kids and I'm probably apart of the 10 kids he gets emails from. And it's not over a quiz. I don't care if I burn the bridge he is a terrible professor.

Maybe he has other responsibilities? Maybe he's sick? Consider this MMI and CASPer practice.

Some people are bad at returning emails. Go in person. Better to talk face to face about problems and disputes anyway.