Tansfer between COM and allopathic college within first 2 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Florida_style

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it is possible to transfer from a college of osteopathic medicine to an allopathic med school (or the other way around) after the first two academic years.
In my state (Florida), there is a considerable difference in tuition between the two disciplines, so why not save money the first two years and then move on to a school from the other side?

John

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see really how you could switch from allopathic to osteopathic school after the first two years.

At OSU-COM we are not allowed to progress without passing OMT and clinical skills courses. Also the COMLEX has OMT questions on it. You really wouldn't be qualified to continue an osteopathic education without attending an osteopathic college.

How could you save money? Are there differences between the first two years as opposed to the last two years? At my school, tuition is the same all four years (not counting increases due to inflation).

Billie

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input. As I look at the curricula more closely, I see that jmor is right, OMT begins right at the beginning. billie, about the tuition differences, I didn't mean that theres a tuition change after the first two years, sorry! I meant that in Florida at NOVA COM the tuition is just over 20k a year, and at USF, for example, the tuition and related expenses bring the total to around 13k a year.

Well, that puts the question of transferring between the disciplines to rest. Thanks again!
John

Why would it put anything to a rest? We had a student transfer from UHS to Wayne State at the end of his second year. And much like him...you may need to repeat a year. Students transfer every year...from osteopathic to allopathic. But, there are many roadblocks.

Ewagner, you are right. I should not have said "that puts the question to rest", because any student can apply to any med school at any time, so it follows that transfers between the disciplines do take place. I meant that for me, as a non traditional student (35 years old) who is only beginning his premed studies, I cannot afford the time for such a transfer. So once I'm in, Im on the way toward MD or DO depending on where I take my first year classes!
john