Tapering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jkdynasty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting close to my test date (August) and my practice tests have been going fine. A lot of my friends said they studied too hard the week before the MCAT and I was just wondering if anyone had a suggestion for what you should do during the last few days before you take the test.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with your friends. I too was where I wanted to be about a week ahead of time, and I think it's a good idea to cool it a bit. I took the test Saturday, but I think my last full length was Monday or Tuesday. I reviewed things I was still a little shaky on, and maybe did a practice section or two on Wednesday and Thursday. Friday was off, and I hit it out of the park on Saturday.

There's definitely a tradeoff where you can trade some study-time to be in peak physical test-taking shape in the last couple of days. If you're the kind of person who won't drive themselves crazy with very light studying a couple of days before; I recommend scaling back significantly.

I'm scheduled to space my remaining FLs out a bit before test date, and had planned to take my last FL (10 or 9 -- not sure which order yet) three days before my exam. This way I have that night/the next day to review the exam, and then have the day before the test off. Is this not a good idea? I thought this would be considered light, but I don't want to overdo it right before the test.

Here's my suggestion for the last 9 days:

Day 89: AAMC #9
Day 90: Review FL + Practice problems
Day 91: Review FL + Practice problems
Day 92: Break
Day 93: AAMC #10
Day 94: Review FL + Practice problems
Day 95: Review FL + Practice problems
Day 96: Break
MCAT

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with your friends. I too was where I wanted to be about a week ahead of time, and I think it's a good idea to cool it a bit. I took the test Saturday, but I think my last full length was Monday or Tuesday. I reviewed things I was still a little shaky on, and maybe did a practice section or two on Wednesday and Thursday. Friday was off, and I hit it out of the park on Saturday.

There's definitely a tradeoff where you can trade some study-time to be in peak physical test-taking shape in the last couple of days. If you're the kind of person who won't drive themselves crazy with very light studying a couple of days before; I recommend scaling back significantly.

Thanks for the advice. It will be hard, but I gotta get mentally and physically prepared like you said.