Tardy in clinical rorations, how to redeem myself. Need advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nucleus Accumbens

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am in a core rotation currently, and the schedule is wildly disorganized where I ended up showing late or not at all to a couple of mandatory sessions. The way the rotation is set up, we're split up into two teams. One team will come in for morning rounds with the attending at 6:30 and the second group is supposed to come in at 7:50 on certain days that we have a procedural activity and 8:30 when were supposed to meet for morning report. I am the only one who was late, but others have been late before as well. Either way, not making excuses nor am I blaming anyone else but myself.

My question is, how exactly do I redeem myself? I am about 2 weeks from the end of the rotation, and I want to approach the attending but I have no clue what I would say. He's a very reasonable and nice guy, but today when I showed up late, he had a disappointed look on his face and said "this is becoming a problem for you, you need to do something about this." Caveat, when I know to show up, I'm there early! I just want to redeem myself here.

Members don't see this ad.

You really can’t. Best you can do at this point is to not be late again and not call attention to yourself by apologizing.

Reactions: 4 users
You really can’t. Best you can do at this point is to not be late again and not call attention to yourself by apologizing.

I was thinking that as well... I'm hoping he doesn't put it in my MSPE since when I am there I actively participate in discussions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Print out a calendar with all of your start times on it. Ask a resident to verify you got it all right. Then tell the attending, “I know I got disorganized and blew it before, but I printed out a calendar and met with a resident to verify it. I can’t change my screw up but I won’t repeat it”.......then, and this is the important part. Be early for everything from now on. Not on time. Early. Not 30 seconds early, early enough to get bored and be over prepared.

Next month you can go back to being regular early

Reactions: 14 users
Hey everyone,

I am in a core rotation currently, and the schedule is wildly disorganized where I ended up showing late or not at all to a couple of mandatory sessions. The way the rotation is set up, we're split up into two teams. One team will come in for morning rounds with the attending at 6:30 and the second group is supposed to come in at 7:50 on certain days that we have a procedural activity and 8:30 when were supposed to meet for morning report. I am the only one who was late, but others have been late before as well. Either way, not making excuses nor am I blaming anyone else but myself.

My question is, how exactly do I redeem myself? I am about 2 weeks from the end of the rotation, and I want to approach the attending but I have no clue what I would say. He's a very reasonable and nice guy, but today when I showed up late, he had a disappointed look on his face and said "this is becoming a problem for you, you need to do something about this." Caveat, when I know to show up, I'm there early! I just want to redeem myself here.
What else are you doing at that time in the morning? Show up at 6:30 every day and if it's your day to meet later, read up on something while you caffeinate yourself.

Reactions: 6 users
I was thinking that as well... I'm hoping he doesn't put it in my MSPE since when I am there I actively participate in discussions.
There is a high chance that repeated tardiness gets into your eval....it’s the most basic function of your job to show up

Reactions: 1 users
There is a high chance that repeated tardiness gets into your eval....it’s the most basic function of your job to show up

Now-a-days that sort of thing is a real application killer and I'm told that they will tell you before they do something like that at my program. Hopefully that is still the case with this attending.

Reactions: 1 user
Now-a-days that sort of thing is a real application killer and I'm told that they will tell you before they do something like that at my program. Hopefully that is still the case with this attending.
It’s going to seem like I’m breaking balls here but I totally know it’s an application killer. And that’s why you start to consider your application by not being late in the first place. Almost anyone will forgive once because sometimes s—- happens but you just plain don’t get to be late twice

It’s going to seem like I’m breaking balls here but I totally know it’s an application killer. And that’s why you start to consider your application by not being late in the first place. Almost anyone will forgive once because sometimes s—- happens but you just plain don’t get to be late twice

Guess we'll wait and see... Thanks for the advice.

Starting now go in early every day, and staying late (if able). The last week of your rotation talk to the doc giving you your evaluations and give him the whole "this is how I missed up, this is what I learned, this is how I bettered myself" mantra.

Reactions: 4 users
Starting now go in early every day, and staying late (if able). The last week of your rotation talk to the doc giving you your evaluations and give him the whole "this is how I missed up, this is what I learned, this is how I bettered myself" mantra.

That's really solid advice actually! I like this one alot. Thank you :)

Attention was already called to the issue BY the attending; he's on the radar already. Best to apologize and explain what you're doing to make sure it doesn't happen again, and then make sure it doesn't happen again.

People forgive mistakes. People do not forgive the same mistakes again and again.

At this stage, you need to 1) never ever EVER do it again, and 2) show your plan/steps/whatever to the attending to say “I know I messed up, I figured out X was wrong, I did Y to fix it and I’ll never do it again.”

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed that there's little gained by saying nothing, it's not like the attending has Alzheimer's and likely forgot. It's possible when he goes to write evals he'd have forgotten it.

In my view, you're better off taking the chance that saying something, even if it went out of his mind, will reflect well on you.

When someone calls attention to a mistake, even one I've put out of mind, I'm impressed that they are taking responsibility for a mistake, rather than trying to slink off under the radar like a snake. It's integrity and it's usually looked on well, if the person 1) doesn't make excuses 2) tell me how I can trust this won't happen again 3) follows through.

I think you have more to gain by the approach of saying something, than correcting then hoping he forgets OR notices that you've course-corrected. People tend to remember mistakes, they don't always catch their silent correction.

It sucks because we all want to sleep in, but in the absence of firm intel on when you are supposed to show up, 6 am is almost always a good bet on a non-surgical rotation. Thankfully, there's usually no lack of work that can keep you busy in that time.

I would often have dried oatmeal packets with me, you can turn them into breakfast pretty easily, usually.

Reactions: 3 users
All good advice here.

Nothing to add here..... besides, 6:30am rounding with the group? This a surgery rotation? Even medicine wasn’t that bad about early rounding.

Do you get a chance to see your MSPE?

I apologize. I am in prematriculation right now and trying to learn more.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
I get there a half hour before I'm supposed to. 1) I need my second coffee 2) I hate BS 3) the early morning is beautiful

All good advice here.

Nothing to add here..... besides, 6:30am rounding with the group? This a surgery rotation? Even medicine wasn’t that bad about early rounding.

Ya, this is a non-surgical rotation. The attending is pretty adamant about being done with rounds by 7:30. The rest of the day we have procedures and following patients he has assigned to us. We have a second batch of rounds that usually happens around 10:30. Then we report to an outpatient site until 4.

Ya, this is a non-surgical rotation. The attending is pretty adamant about being done with rounds by 7:30. The rest of the day we have procedures and following patients he has assigned to us. We have a second batch of rounds that usually happens around 10:30. Then we report to an outpatient site until 4.
If rounds start at 6:30, why aren’t you there at 5:30 prerounding and gerring report from the nurses?

Reactions: 2 users
If rounds start at 6:30, why aren’t you there at 5:30 prerounding and gerring report from the nurses?
This. If you’re rolling in right as rounds start, you’re probably doing it wrong.
What else are you doing at that time in the morning? Show up at 6:30 every day and if it's your day to meet later, read up on something while you caffeinate yourself.
Also this. If the schedule is hard for you to keep track of for some reason, just always be there for the early time. Before it, actually.

Reactions: 2 users
SO. I decided that I was going to speak with my attending tomorrow to sort of give him the run-down on what it is I'm doing to ensure that my tardiness won't happen again. I figured I would approach the conversation taking responsibility, then I would explain the plan of action for ensuring this doesn't happen again (i.e.: get here at a set time daily regardless of rounding group). I also realized that I have yet to ask for any feedback from him regarding my performance in other areas, so if he's receptive to my plan, I would ask if there is anything else I can do to improve and become a better student? Pardon me if this seems like its a little over-the-top, but this tardiness thing is truly not in my character and I'm really struggling with it. I don't want a slip-up such as this to cost me a residency position.

SO. I decided that I was going to speak with my attending tomorrow to sort of give him the run-down on what it is I'm doing to ensure that my tardiness won't happen again. I figured I would approach the conversation taking responsibility, then I would explain the plan of action for ensuring this doesn't happen again (i.e.: get here at a set time daily regardless of rounding group). I also realized that I have yet to ask for any feedback from him regarding my performance in other areas, so if he's receptive to my plan, I would ask if there is anything else I can do to improve and become a better student? Pardon me if this seems like its a little over-the-top, but this tardiness thing is truly not in my character and I'm really struggling with it. I don't want a slip-up such as this to cost me a residency position.
But you were doing it so it was in your “character”. Just be more responsible and be early from now on....

But you were doing it so it was in your “character”. Just be more responsible and be early from now on....

I mean I have never been late on any rotation before. The scheduling is just very erratic, but I will say I am guilty of not confirming my schedule and remaining diligent on where I needed to be and when. I got too complacent with the schedule, and it bit me right in the Gluteus lol... I'm hoping he understands. I'll keep ya'll posted.

You never know what people are going to put in your eval. I was early every day for surgery, stayed late, worked hard, actively participated... yet asked one day, after 12 hours, if I could go to my mom's birthday dinner and said it was fine if they wanted me to stay longer. They said it was no problem. Later put it in my eval that I asked to leave and it was unprofessional. o_O

This is a good idea. You should always get mid-rotation feedback regardless. Though this may end up getting something in your eval to the effect of "NA had some trouble with staying on schedule but worked hard to address this issue" it's certainly better than "NA had trouble coming in on time in the morning".

You never know what people are going to put in your eval. I was early every day for surgery, stayed late, worked hard, actively participated... yet asked one day, after 12 hours, if I could go to my mom's birthday dinner and said it was fine if they wanted me to stay longer. They said it was no problem. Later put it in my eval that I asked to leave and it was unprofessional. o_O

This is a good idea. You should always get mid-rotation feedback regardless. Though this may end up getting something in your eval to the effect of "NA had some trouble with staying on schedule but worked hard to address this issue" it's certainly better than "NA had trouble coming in on time in the morning".

I would definitely prefer the former! I'm gonna be as sincere as possible and hopefully then I could put this past me. As you can imagine, this has been very anxiety provoking.

So, B+ on the rotation... sort of annoyed bc I got a 90 on the shelf. So I’m gonna request the feedback from my school and hopefully nothing was written in my eval with regards to the tardiness.

Set up your phone calendar with reminders for each and everything. It won’t be the last time you have an erratic schedule. In the case that it is mentioned, at least it doesn’t need to become a pattern.

Set up your phone calendar with reminders for each and everything. It won’t be the last time you have an erratic schedule. In the case that it is mentioned, at least it doesn’t need to become a pattern.

I’ve since gone through OB/GYN and never was late.

Show up every day at 6am regardless of the schedule you fall on so that you can never be late. Sure, others have been late, but you can't afford to be like everyone else if you're looking to get anything beyond a pass. Honestly, a late student would probably be a low pass at best.

I always wondered why attendings say students get worse by the year and now I see why. I can't remember ever being late for any clerkship even when ob wanted me there before 5.

I always wondered why attendings say students get worse by the year and now I see why. I can't remember ever being late for any clerkship even when ob wanted me there before 5.
When I was med student 90 years ago, I would show up at 3 AM and not leave until 2 AM the following night. Kids these days have it easy, I tell you.

Reactions: 7 users
So, B+ on the rotation... sort of annoyed bc I got a 90 on the shelf. So I’m gonna request the feedback from my school and hopefully nothing was written in my eval with regards to the tardiness.

Go ahead and ask for feedback but don’t argue this— the only that will do is point out that your grade could have (and maybe in the eyes of your school and attending, should have) been worse. If repeated lateness was a problem, you don’t deserve an A.

This thread is older but wasn't he late one time due to a scheduling mix up? I feel like that could happen to anyone.

This thread is older but wasn't he late one time due to a scheduling mix up? I feel like that could happen to anyone.
Apparently “back in the day” no one was ever late and tardiness only became a thing because millennials. Also apparently why medicine is on the decline and the country is on average producing worse doctors

My typical gig in this kind of situation is just be upfront and apologize. Tell them that you understand that it was fully your responsibility, and that even though you don't have an excuse or can do anything about it at this point, you just want them to know that it wasn't because you don't take their time seriously. Just say that you're thankful for the time they provide to teach you, and you're going to use it as a learning experience.

The attending’s reply in the original post led me to believe it happened more than once.

Anybody can be late once— I actually don’t blame OP for that. I do blame OP for complaining about not getting an A after being late when he/she should probably just be thankful they weren’t in bigger trouble for “professionalism issues.” Know which fights to pick and when to stand down.

I was late a few times, now I just never leave the hospital --> always on time now.

also, what season is it outside