Tattoos and Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hales1120

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I posted about this on another thread but I'm curious how to cover visible tattoos for interviews. I've already had three with them showing and haven't had any problems but think I'd look more professional if they were covered. I have a visible one on my wrist and on the tops and sides of my feet. I've tried makeup (gets everywhere), panty hose (still show), and bandaids (look silly.) Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
I posted about this on another thread but I'm curious how to cover visible tattoos for interviews. I've already had three with them showing and haven't had any problems but think I'd look more professional if they were covered. I have a visible one on my wrist and on the tops and sides of my feet. I've tried makeup (gets everywhere), panty hose (still show), and bandaids (look silly.) Any suggestions?
I never see interviewee's feet, and I don't care if you have one anywhere that's not your face or neck.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,
Women's trouser socks (which are nearly opaque) and longer sleeves or jewelry?

I agree with @Goro, though, that I've never focused on a candidate's feet.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree.... A lot of younger people won't care but you're not necessarily catering to that audience. You may need to just kind of pant-suit it to cover things, and as for the wrist.... Depends on location. I have one I cover w a watch but I sized it deliberately. All in all shouldn't be too be of an issue!

The smaller tattoo, the lower the stigma in general. There is a definite bias against people with tons of tattoos, even if it isn't done knowingly. A small tattoo on your wrist probably isn't a big deal, but you can wear a watch or long sleeves if you're self conscious about it. No one will notice the one on your feet except. Most people aren't trained to size people up and notice all the identifying details, so a small foot tattoo likely won't be noticed. You didn't say how big the ones on your feet were though. Can you just wear shoes that cover them?

The smaller tattoo, the lower the stigma in general. There is a definite bias against people with tons of tattoos, even if it isn't done knowingly. A small tattoo on your wrist probably isn't a big deal, but you can wear a watch or long sleeves if you're self conscious about it. No one will notice the one on your feet except. Most people aren't trained to size people up and notice all the identifying details, so a small foot tattoo likely won't be noticed. You didn't say how big the ones on your feet were though. Can you just wear shoes that cover them?
I don't know what other shoes to wear besides low heels.

5r8ztm-i.jpg

You can wear something like this if you wanting to cover your tattoo but still look professional.

Reactions: 2 users
I never see interviewee's feet, and I don't care if you have one anywhere that's not your face or neck.

I knew a girl who had a tiny question mark tattooed behind her left ear, but she just had to wear her hair down to cover it. It was super basic, I actually thought she drew it on with a marker at first. She's now an M2, for whatever that's worth.

I knew a girl who had a tiny question mark tattooed behind her left ear, but she just had to wear her hair down to cover it. It was super basic, I actually thought she drew it on with a marker at first. She's now an M2, for whatever that's worth.
I'd be OK with that.

Wrong profession
On second thought I agree. Those laces are probably breeding grounds for bacteria. The last thing I want is to spread germs around my hospital just because I want to look professional in my leather lace boots.

Hypothetically, what if the applicant has a facial tat that is a part of their culture? e.g. the applicant is of Maori ancestry or some other tribal ancestry.

Don't worry about them as long as they aren't on your face or neck like posters above said just wear a watch or something to cover your wrist tattoo but I don't think they'll mention it.