Mar 30, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Hello, long-time reader in need of advice!

I was wondering if there was any sort of procedure for "reporting" a new tattoo once in the service. I was commissioned through the HPSP program and had two tattoos at MEPS, so I'm somewhat familiar with the process of "explaining" them for documentation.

I'm also familiar with the Uniform Regulations and the tattoo is well within the 4 criteria, and absolutely none of my tattoos (including the approved/documented ones) will be visible in uniform OR PT gear.

I will be completing ODS in a few months and would like to know if anyone has experience with that - for example, is there another medical screening there? Is it best to contact OH and try to update my file now or just roll through to ODS and hope nobody makes a stink about it?

Thanks to anyone with some experiences to offer.

Cliffs: Long-time tattoo owner, old tattoos approved at MEPS, new one within regs and not visible in a t-shirt, what (if anything) to do?

NavyFP

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2006
Manning a Cubicle
Status
Attending Physician
Hello, long-time reader in need of advice!

I was wondering if there was any sort of procedure for "reporting" a new tattoo once in the service. I was commissioned through the HPSP program and had two tattoos at MEPS, so I'm somewhat familiar with the process of "explaining" them for documentation.

I'm also familiar with the Uniform Regulations and the tattoo is well within the 4 criteria, and absolutely none of my tattoos (including the approved/documented ones) will be visible in uniform OR PT gear.

I will be completing ODS in a few months and would like to know if anyone has experience with that - for example, is there another medical screening there? Is it best to contact OH and try to update my file now or just roll through to ODS and hope nobody makes a stink about it?

Thanks to anyone with some experiences to offer.

Cliffs: Long-time tattoo owner, old tattoos approved at MEPS, new one within regs and not visible in a t-shirt, what (if anything) to do?
If it meets regs. Do nothing. Doesn't matter.