This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mindfxck

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a psych/pre-med sophomore undergrad. I am aware that body modification is not something medical professionals recommend, however it is too late to not be concerned.
I have stretched my ears to no larger than a 0g, have two small tattoos and two large--only one is visible on my left wrist (it's a cross, if that matters at all) and the other three are very easy to conceal--and have my left eyebrow pierced. Along with these, I also have bleached and dyed my hair gray. I dye my hair unnatural colors quite often, but I am not planning on keeping up with this 'hobby' as it is seen as unprofessional by many. I am planning on getting more tattoos in places that are always covered up in public, and thinking about more facial piercings but will not keep them in when they are more of an inconvenience than anything else.
Self-expression through body modification and hair dye are pretty common in my area (Seattle/Tacoma), but I don't know if it would make a large difference or jeopardize my chances of being admitted to any medical school.

What is the policy for these kinds of things?

edit: Thanks for the responses, especially the ones that were written kindly. A few of your guys' responses are a little bit offensive as you assume that I would actually be stupid enough to not consider the look of professionalism in this field. It is common sense (that I DO have) to dress conservatively, take out/hide/conceal any piercings and tattoos that I have during the interview process, as well as in the work place. My main concern is mostly for attending medical school in general, not just the interview process, which I should have stated previously so the slight misunderstanding is my fault. My daily attire is already conservative, and I also conceal tattoos and piercings for work as a middle school tutor (what I meant when I wrote "getting more tattoos in places that are always covered up in public" and "will not keep them in when they are more of an inconvenience than anything else"). I wrote this post in hopes of receiving advice on what others in similar shoes had to offer, not to be criticized by people who do not know who I am and how I present myself.

Also, judging one's appearance, whether they are a patient, stranger, or peer, is not respectable. Experimentation with one's own body is not a bad thing, and to judge people based on their appearance is shallow and rude. Just because you are a doctor that fits the ideal look of professionalism, that does not make you a decent person with a good heart that genuinely enjoys helping others. Decency will always be valued more than profession and appearance. Just saying.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The medical profession is profoundly conservative. You're not in yet, and I would recommend dressing as conservatively as possible, especially during interviews. Take out the piercings, cover the tattoos. When you're a doctor you can dress how you want, and I know doctors with visible tattoos, but they're in specialties and regions that are much less conservative. Furthermore, they're done with they're training, whereas you're proceeding at the whims of the medical establishment. The degree to which you're discriminated against will vary by region and individual, but you wouldn't know if you were rejected post-interview for your stats or because they didn't like the way you look. I know it sucks, but it is what it is.

Piercings are fine, but I'd suggest a retainer for your eyebrow. A bigger shock value will come from your hair. Trust me, you don't want an interviewer shocked or taken aback by your appearance. I recommend getting your hair back to a normal color by interview season.

Members don't see this ad :)
This topic has been discussed many times before on SDN. Consensus is to be as conservative as you can. I mean there are people who reject females on interviews for short skirts, lace leggings, etc. etc. let alone facial piercings, unnatural hair color, and visible tattoos.

Granted I don't understand at all the "body modification" lifestyle but if it's something you feel you must do then just hold off until you're an attending.

Reactions: 2 users
Tattoos I don't really care about. Dyed hair is a little out there, especially gray but at least it's not hot pink. I wouldn't want any of my colleagues to have ear stretches though because it looks stupid and makes you look stupid too. If i were an adcom, I would assume anyone who had one of those was a poor decision maker and reject on the spot

Reactions: 11 users
I'm personally on the other side of the spectrum than others in regards to piercing, gauges, tattoos, etc. (have a bunch of tattoos, just one industrial piercing but have lots of friends with 0g and other stuff and don't think it corresponds to bad character or stupidity). But I agree that this is medicine and especially with admissions you have to make yourself look as standard as possible. I have friends who had their ears closed surgically before school started. I don't know of anyone who actually has plugs at my school, but there was one student I met during a hospital tour on an interview who had what looked like 0g. (in Chicago so it's definitely going to be a location thing as others have said).

my advice would be to get through getting admitted to med school. Do what you want during preclinical years and then go conservative again when 3rd year starts. And definitely again during interviews. There were a person at my school who matched at an amazing place with visible tattoos (big shoulder piece that can be hidden during work) and platinum hair that looks great, but you really have to play the game. Piercings unfortunately are probably out unless they are hidden from view.

Then as others said once you get a job you can do what you want!

Reactions: 1 user
I am currently a psych/pre-med sophomore undergrad. I am aware that body modification is not something medical professionals recommend, however it is too late to not be concerned.
I have stretched my ears to no larger than a 0g, have two small tattoos and two large--only one is visible on my left wrist (it's a cross, if that matters at all) and the other three are very easy to conceal--and have my left eyebrow pierced. Along with these, I also have bleached and dyed my hair gray. I dye my hair unnatural colors quite often, but I am not planning on keeping up with this 'hobby' as it is seen as unprofessional by many. I am planning on getting more tattoos in places that are always covered up in public, and thinking about more facial piercings but will not keep them in when they are more of an inconvenience than anything else.
Self-expression through body modification and hair dye are pretty common in my area (Seattle/Tacoma), but I don't know if it would make a large difference or jeopardize my chances of being admitted to any medical school.

Just cover them up during interviews, and take your piercings out. You're not going to change opinions with your presence, and med school is something to get into and get through. Do what you want when you're finished.

-someone with visible tattoo

Gray hair isnt that weird. I'd lose the piercings and try to close up those gauges as it makes you look like a kid. Whether or not you agree with it people who will be judging you on a first impression will perceive you are immature.

If you keep the unnatural hair dye and piercings in, you have a 0% chance of admission at most schools. You may think you're a beautiful and unique snowflake, but you need to have the trust of patients that are two and three generations older than yourself, so this is an issue of patient trust more than it is of anything else. Without trust, you have no chance of helping your patients, so you have to cater to being as inoffensive to the largest portion of patients as possible until you are done with residency, as you won't be picking and choosing who they are. Simple fact is, tattoos, unnatural hair, and piercings scream "I care about my appearance and expression more than I care about being a doctor" to most adcoms. It speaks to a certain level of short-term thinking and irresponsibility (as you should be responsible enough to not do something that hinders your chances of entering your dream career just because of "expression").

Lose or use a device that minimizes visibility for every piercing you can. Dye your hair a natural color. Dress conservatively. Leave your hair down to cover the plugs.

During MS1 and MS2 after admission, you can go back to the dyed hair and piercings- not much that they can do about it once you're admitted, as tests don't grade you on your appearance, but rather on your results. It might impact subjective assessments by standardized patients, however. Once MS3 and MS4 hit and on into residency, expect to be maximally bland until you graduate and get board eligibility, as no preceptor or academic attending will assess you favorably if you look unprofessional. If you want to be a doctor, that's what you're signing up for.

Reactions: 12 users
Fair or not, it will greatly decrease your chances of getting accepted. There are a few people at my school with small visible tattoos, but I can think of absolutely no one with facial piercings, absurd ear stretches or unnaturally colored hair. With such you would stick out like a sore thumb and that is something you really want to avoid. You have to work hard to get into med school and the admissions process is very competitive, it's a real shame to seriously handicap your chances with things like this. Also remember , just because you live in an area where these things are better tolerated doesn't mean you will end up in such an area for medical school, rotations or residency. I would advise losing the facial piercings and ear stretches and putting a moratorium on any new tattoos until after you are done with your training.

I don't think I've ever violated (fulfilled?) Burnett's Law, but for ear stretchers, I'm strongly tempted to make an exception.

Ditch them.

Reactions: 5 users
I would definitely remove the face piercings, return your hair to normal, and reduce the stretching as much as possible. I've seen people interview with gauges and it looks ridiculous.

All that said my dad had a tri-color pony tail (red, green, blue) in med school, but that was the 70's...

Reactions: 3 users
I would definitely remove the face piercings, return your hair to normal, and reduce the stretching as much as possible. I've seen people interview with gauges and it looks ridiculous.

All that said my dad had a tri-color pony tail (red, green, blue) in med school, but that was the 70's...
RGB? Bold choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Addressing the cross tattoo: it probably won't matter. There may be a few people that will see it as "more acceptable" because you can say it represents your religious beliefs, but to most people it will be viewed the same as any other tattoo. Cover/minimize it if you can.

As for the hair. Keep it a normal color until you're accepted. During M1 and M2 years people probably won't care much about your hair color/appearance. However, as previously stated, you want to look at conservative and professional as possible when dealing with patients or going on interviews.

Before I started medical school, I had more liberal ideas and felt it didn't matter, but now that I'm a student, I see very very few classmates who dye their hair/have gauges, atypical piercings, etc, it just makes you stand out negatively among a sea of professional looking people. It looks ridiculous now. Quite a few have wrist/forearm tattoos, not a big deal. Conceal the others.

If I was an Adcom, gauges, eyebrow piercings, and ridiculous hair colors would be an auto-reject. You're not an edgy teenager in high school anymore. Time to grow up if you want to do something professional.

Last edited:
I've always wondered this as well. I have a large, colorful arm tattoo that is concealed with long sleeves, which I obviously wore for interviews, but I've wondered if there will be any issues with it during school/clinicals.

I agree with all of the above. Like it or not, your future is in the hands of the people that will interview you. And, wrong or right, some people will see you in a negative light for having these things. I have a forearm tattoo that extends to my wrist, I was very careful during medical school and residency interviews to keep my sleeves on my suit and shirt pulled down so that it was not visible.

I have not had any issues during my clinicals with my tattoo being visible. Nobody ever said anything to me about it, but I worked to keep it covered when I could.

You're definitely going to want to dress as conservatively as possible for the interview. However beyond that, you may never be able to dress as freely as you do now. For instance my school has a dress code which specifically prohibits facial piercings besides ears (no greater than 3). You may find residency and/or attending positions with similar attitudes.

IMO, keep doing your thing until interviews with the exception of the gauges. Just take out the eyebrow piercing for the day of the interview and make sure to dye your hair to a natural color for the season. Since you're a sophomore, seems like you should have time to size down your gauges before interviews. I would look into doing it now though so that you have enough time to do it right.

Medicine is one of the most hypocritical fields in the world. Despite professing that we are not to judge or discriminate. Anything that is mildly non-traditional will be a huge blip in your career onwards.

I'm going to be blunt; we don't want applicants who look like they fell asleep face forward into a box of fishing tackle.

Self expression is one thing, poor impulse control is another, especially with self mutilation.

Someone showing up as you have described say that you don't take a professional interview seriously. Medicine is kinda like "going into character" for an actor. The tats I can live with, as well as a tiny nose stud.

Medicine is one of the most hypocritical fields in the world. Despite professing that we are not to judge or discriminate. Anything that is mildly non-traditional will be a huge blip in your career onwards.

?
We are not supposed to judge or discriminate against our patients. Docs judge their peers all the time. I want everyone who shares my profession to be respectable and conservative, not some wannabe free thinker who wants to express themselves like a lonely middle schooler

Reactions: 4 users

This post is absurd. Everyone judges and discriminates. If I see someone wearing a t-shirt with obscenity splashed allover it, I can fairly safely assume that (s)he is uncouth.

To tell how bad it is, when I went to meetings with MDs in my Gray Scotch Plaid Suit (see link) I stick out like a sore thumb with all the docs in black, dark gray, navy blue, etc

(https://www.lyst.com/clothing/brune...flat-front-pants-gray/?product_gallery=765230

I've seen a number of doctors who wear blazers or suits with that type of pattern. The notion that one cannot dress stylishly in medicine is a myth. The reason why most doctors dress rather plainly is that the majority of doctors - like other students of science - are on the nerdier side.

What can be worn on Wall St. can be worn by attendings. Or med students. But interview attire is interview attire.

Or you can just like get over yourself for one day, dress a bit more conservative than you usually would (which is par for the course for these things) and then move on with your life.

I'd say the bigger risk for you re: not getting into med school is having your head so far up your a** that you can't decide something like this without involving an internet messageboard

Just ugh.

Draw all over yourself to your hearts content, but keep it to places that can be covered by interview clothes and scrubs

Dye your hair whatever the **** color you want, but dye it back to your natural color for interviews. Hell, I had blonde hair with pink highlights last year. But they weren't visible when my hair was braided out of my face, which is how I wear it at work.

I feel like this stuff should be common sense.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

This thread, among other things, makes me so glad to be Canadian. No one cares here, plenty of people (myself included) interviewed/accepted with non-traditional body modifications.

Reactions: 5 users
This thread, among other things, makes me so glad to be Canadian. No one cares here, plenty of people (myself included) interviewed/accepted with non-traditional body modifications.
I've been planning to move to Canada after residency, but this just convinced me to also apply to med schools in Canada. Thank you. America be cray sometimes.
luv u Canada xoxo

I've been planning to move to Canada after residency, but this just convinced me to also apply to med schools in Canada. Thank you. America be cray sometimes.
luv u Canada xoxo

I'd do my research first if I were you, before throwing away application money.

In terms of people in similar situations - almost everyone I know that successfully got into medical school played the game. Covering up tats, taking out piercing, etc. All stuff that's already been mentioned. I know of exactly one person who actually got criticized for taking out his earrings (in a residency interview, not medical school) for the interview, because they wanted him to be true to himself. Or something. But it was also a very friendly and laid-back West-Coast residency program, an exception to the rule.

In our M2 year a male student with long hair and a beard (not for religious reasons, just European) received complaints of unprofessionalism from standardized patients during an OSCE exam. Our preceptor took him aside to recommend a more groomed appearance. It ticked off his classmates (us) at the time, but that's more representative of the people you'll be dealing with.

I'm going to be blunt; we don't want applicants who look like they fell asleep face forward into a box of fishing tackle.

Funniest thing I've read in awhile lol!

Sent from my A1-840FHD using SDN mobile

luv u Canada xoxo
Non-Canadians are rarely accepted to Canadian medical schools.

Last edited by a moderator:

edit: Thanks for the responses, especially the ones that were written kindly. A few of your guys' responses are a little bit offensive as you assume that I would actually be stupid enough to not consider the look of professionalism in this field. It is common sense (that I DO have) to dress conservatively, take out/hide/conceal any piercings and tattoos that I have during the interview process, as well as in the work place. My main concern is mostly for attending medical school in general, not just the interview process, which I should have stated previously so the slight misunderstanding is my fault. My daily attire is already conservative, and I also conceal tattoos and piercings for work as a middle school tutor (what I meant when I wrote "getting more tattoos in places that are always covered up in public" and "will not keep them in when they are more of an inconvenience than anything else"). I wrote this post in hopes of receiving advice on what others in similar shoes had to offer, not to be criticized by people who do not know who I am and how I present myself.

Also, judging one's appearance, whether they are a patient, stranger, or peer, is not respectable. Experimentation with one's own body is not a bad thing, and to judge people based on their appearance is shallow and rude. Just because you are a doctor that fits the ideal look of professionalism, that does not make you a decent person with a good heart that genuinely enjoys helping others. Decency will always be valued more than profession and appearance. Just saying.

As others have suggested definitely get rid of the plugs. I myself use to have 0s my freshman year and I "stretched" them back to about normal. I still have visibly pierced ears. Just work on getting them back to normal because as others suggested it definitely is going to be used against you.

Another @Goro classic

Hi there, M3 and former fun hair color enthusiast here- the policy for tats/piercings/etc may vary a lot based on where you go to school and your clinical sites. Some programs expect business casual/professional during the pre-clinical years, even if you're just going to lecture. We were expected to dress professionally and wear our white coats whenever there was patient contact, but we can (and did) just go to lectures in pajamas at times. I regretted taking out my lip ring before orientation as most of the people we interacted with as M1/M2s were PhD lecturers that we've never seen again/didn't have to worry about impressions we had made. That being said, I think our program is way more chill than others.

As far as clinical years and beyond, things seem to be getting more flexible as far as acceptable appearances- but I can only speak from my experience in the midwest. Two of the attendings I've worked with this week alone had wrist tattoos, and I know a family practice physician who has a stripe of green hair. I've also been chided a bit for COVERING up a tattoo with an ankle wrap, since "the culture won't change unless my generation works to change it". So it appears that not everyone in medicine is so conservative about the issue, but obviously all of my evidence is anecdotal. As a student, I play it safe and always dress very conservatively until I get a feel for how residents/attendings dress on my rotations. I take out piercings for safety before surgeries, and won't get any tattoos on my arms that can't be covered by scrubs until I'm employed. It may be reassuring for you to know that I've let my foot tattoo show for most of my time in clinic and had one attending ask to read it, and one patient ask for the name of my artist. And I also got to dye my hair blue for ****s and giggles during the time I had off to study for step1 :).

Best of luck with the pre-med journey!

I'm a med student with a bunch of body mods. For most occasions where I am expected to dress up, I wear long sleeved button-ups. Unless you have hand/neck/face tattoos, concealing them should be easy. In class itself, no one cares.

Unless you're female, I would advise starting to let your ears shrink before interview season (girls can get away with wearing 0g plugs that resemble big earrings). I did - it sucks, but it's the price of admission. And definitely get a conservative hair color/cut right beforehand. Once you're in, you're in - do what you want again. Clinical years will be a different story.

Good luck! It'll be fine. And hopefully the medical field will loosen up about its definitions of professional appearance. There is a limit, sure. A piercing should not be that limit.