Tattoos ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SubSpring

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have a sleeve on my left arm, from wrist up. I can obviously hide it with long sleeve shirts but how do u tink people will react in the med school itself? i have no problem keeping it hidden if thats what it will take but what if it slips out or something? can they kick u out for something like that? if they can, i wouldn't want to go to med school anyway

Members don't see this ad.

you got a sleeve done?
how long did it take?
I really doubt that med schools are allowed to even think about acting to remove you because of a tat.
so dont sweat it.
btw - one of the kids the year above me had a freaking biohazard tattoo.. (he was premed)
:rolleyes:

took me about 3 years, im 21, started when i was 18, show no signs of stopping heh. yeah my friend has the biohazard sign on his whole back, its real cool. my other friend brough his sleeves onto his hands, i was just liike "*****" .. hehe

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the same question? I don't have one yet, but I was going to get a big medical cross in black tribal design covering my back, kind of like the character in the movie red dragon. I wear tank tops alot, will it be frowned upon at the jesuit institution that I've been accepted at? Or even worse can I get kicked out for having a tattoo?

You should definitely hide it for interviews. Doctors tend to be conservative. However, once you get accepted, do what you want. I think you will be able to gauge patients' reactions and decide what to do as an MSIII.

i agree... hide it for the interview. i took out my nosering and three of my 7 earrings. my tattoos are hideable (leg and back) so that was no big deal.

but you won't get kicked out for it. just be conservative about it during interviews (in my opinion). i.e. keep the shirtsleeves down. if it peeks out, i doubt it'll be a big ol' honkin issue. :) one of the guys doing my tour at umich had an eyebrow ring, i stayed with two hosts at different schools w/noserings and some larger tattoos. they're prevalent.

oh yeah, and i posted on this subject a few months back and was greeted by a barrage of "tattoos and piercings are disgusting" sentiments. if that is your feeling, please refrain this time. :) stick to opinions on what the OP should do. please. :) :D

Hey,

I've wanted to get a tattoo for a while but had a few questions about safety. I know that hepatitis is a concern for some people...and I heard that even if the place uses sterile needles but reuses ink you could still be at risk? Does this even make sense, or is new ink made for each person? I've read that as far as safety from needles go, most reputable places have good aseptic technique. Could anybody fill me in on the finer points of getting a tattoo and tattoo safety?

Thanks!!

as far as advice/safety goes: do NOT go to a tattoo studio/parlor unless they're certified by your county's board of health. the place where i get mine is super sterile and very careful. NOTHING is reused between people. not ink, not needles, nothing. everything is individually packaged per tatto (per person), and is disposable (and tossed out after each use) including the ink. and they're certified by the ingham county board of public health and safety. ask around, ask the tattoo studios about their health certifications. if they're skechy about giving out info, walk out the door and find a better one. a good studio is willing to show their safety certifications and policies.

i'm going saturday for some touch-up work on one of mine! :clap:

yep thats pretty much it. just watch em, your paying them so feel free to ask questions about anything etc. .. don't be intimidated, and if they guy is an dingus, take your business somwehre else, altho the artits i've been to have all been real cool

So how many states are backwards like mine (south carolina)???
tattoos are ILLEGAL here. You gotta drive across state lines if you really want one.
(this has probably saved me from some bad drunken decisions, but i still don't think it is right!)
why are they illegal around here if it's a safe procedure?
just curious.
streetdoc

Originally posted by medicnas
Hey,

ink you could still be at risk? Does this even make sense, or is new ink made for each person? I've read that as far as safety from needles go, most reputable places have good aseptic technique. Could anybody fill me in on the finer points of getting a tattoo and tattoo safety?

Thanks!!

There's tons of websites out there with that info. You can just search for a tattoo FAQ and it ought to answer most of your Q's. Or PM me.

A decent tat shop should use individual ink "cups" for each customer. They squeeze the ink out of a bottle and into separate disposable containers - so the gun/needle only goes into the individual well of ink being used for that particular person, not the whole supply.

Originally posted by Deuce 007 MD
I have the same question? I don't have one yet, but I was going to get a big medical cross in black tribal design covering my back, kind of like the character in the movie red dragon. I wear tank tops alot, will it be frowned upon at the jesuit institution that I've been accepted at? Or even worse can I get kicked out for having a tattoo?

Are you crazy? Jesuits are the bomb when it comes to priests. Very liberal, progressive, accepting of differences, etc. However, as individuals they will probably react similarly to any person of their age and education -- and I would guess that most middle-aged academics would probably not say "hey dude, nice tat" or anything like that if you know what I mean. But as far as rules go, I highly doubt that your institution will have a rule against it. My undergrad certainly didn't.