APACHE3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2005
Status
Ok, in our program we can access Hospital network from home to answer our clinic mail, prescription (computerized), referrals, etc. Since I'm using the computer to do my "business" as a doctor, can I write off a new purchase of a computer as work related? Thanks

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
That's a mighty fine question and one I'd be interested in as well. Off the top of my head with absolutely no data to back it up, I'd say that, since you're still technically being educated, you could write it off as an education expense. That's what I'm planning to do. But I'd love to hear from somebody not talking out of their a$$ like me.

BE (now PE)

OP
A

APACHE3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2005
Status
We get a grand over three years for educational expenses. I've already bought a volume of Harrison's so now I'm down to about $850. Step 3 will come later this year, so hopefully there is another way to recoup some $$ from the taxman if I decide to upgrade my computer.. :confused:

Bobblehead

15+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
This site has some interesting and useful information: http://www.mdtaxes.com/mdbusexp.html

You're best off consulting with your own tax expert however. In general it's going to be difficult for you to write off the entire cost of the computer as you're not using it solely for your business. Additionally as you're being paid as an employee (I assume), work expense deductions will be made as an unreimbursed employee deduction which I believe is subject to the 2% floor and assumes that you are itemizing your deductions.

As a further clarification, unless your residency *REQUIRES* you to have a computer at home it's being done for your convenience and not for your employers so likely the entire cost of the computer is not deductible.

But, I am not a tax professional.

Faebinder

Slow Wave Smurf
10+ Year Member
May 24, 2006
Pennsylvania
Status
Attending Physician
Bobblehead said:
This site has some interesting and useful information: http://www.mdtaxes.com/mdbusexp.html

You're best off consulting with your own tax expert however. In general it's going to be difficult for you to write off the entire cost of the computer as you're not using it solely for your business. Additionally as you're being paid as an employee (I assume), work expense deductions will be made as an unreimbursed employee deduction which I believe is subject to the 2% floor and assumes that you are itemizing your deductions.

As a further clarification, unless your residency *REQUIRES* you to have a computer at home it's being done for your convenience and not for your employers so likely the entire cost of the computer is not deductible.

But, I am not a tax professional.
Wow Bobblehead... thank you for such a great link. :love: