Taxed on loans paid by employer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hamhock

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I often see CMGs like Team Health advertise contracts that will pay off 100K of your loans if you sign with them for three years.

Does the doc have to pay income tax on those loan payments?

If I did locums and asked the company to pay me only in loan repayment, would I not then be making 30% more?

Hamhock

Members don't see this ad.

I often see CMGs like Team Health advertise contracts that will pay off 100K of your loans if you sign with them for three years.

Does the doc have to pay income tax on those loan payments?

If I did locums and asked the company to pay me only in loan repayment, would I not then be making 30% more?

Hamhock
Yes you pay taxes on this. It sucks

So it isn't really loan payment, it is just extra income, taxable like all income is. I wonder if you even really need to spend it on loans, or could you just pocket it. The recipient might not even have loans, lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
So it isn't really loan payment, it is just extra income, taxable like all income is. I wonder if you even really need to spend it on loans, or could you just pocket it. The recipient might not even have loans, lol.

Those I know that get loan repayment just get a check from the hospital/company, and can technically do whatever they want with it.

Reactions: 1 user
This is true for private employers, though public employers have programs with more tax advantages (and more strings / paperwork attached).