taxi or rent-a-car for interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

757sharp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are you guys generally taking for interviews? Cabs would be convenient since I would not know my way around the city, but I would have nowhere to leave my luggage when I check out of the hotel. Whereas, if I rented a car, I could leave all my luggage in the car during the interview.

Members don't see this ad.

What are you guys generally taking for interviews? Cabs would be convenient since I would not know my way around the city, but I would have nowhere to leave my luggage when I check out of the hotel. Whereas, if I rented a car, I could leave all my luggage in the car during the interview.

Depends on the school and the city. Find out if the school can hold your bag somewhere during the interview. You probably won't be alone in this request. Some cities simply aren't very cab-friendly (it will cost you a small fortune). And proximity to the airport(s) and shuttle service is a factor to consider as well.

It would be nice to have some locals speak up about specific cities people have questions about.

Members don't see this ad :)
If possible, I would rent a car for sure. In many cities this will be cheaper than a taxi and give you more independence when you are not in your interview. Also, as you mentioned, the trunk will be very nice.

Depends on the school and the city. Find out if the school can hold your bag somewhere during the interview. You probably won't be alone in this request. Some cities simply aren't very cab-friendly (it will cost you a small fortune). And proximity to the airport(s) and shuttle service is a factor to consider as well.

It would be nice to have some locals speak up about specific cities people have questions about.

I agree, post cities in question and people can then help you out!

Here are some of the schools I am applying to and what I would do:

In favor of renting a car, as it's too far from the airport:
1) UNC
2) VCU
3) Uconn - Probably cheaper to fly into other city and take a train/rent a car

Taxi or Metro:
1) Howard - You can take metro if you fly into Reagan
2) Harvard
3) BU
4) NYU
5) Columbia
6) UCSF - Kinda far away from the airports, but there's a train that will take you to the city. I say taxi since driving in SF for someone new to the area would be really hard.

Up in the air:
1) Temple
2) Moved UCSF above
3) Maryland - I can see an argument for either way here. Parking is a non factor.

Hopefully this helped a little.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies. At the moment, I was wondering for Temple, Case, and UCSF

There are tons of hotels in Pitt close to the campus withing walking distance. The taxis are very unreliable there.

There are tons of hotels in Pitt close to the campus withing walking distance. The taxis are very unreliable there.

how about going from airport to hotel? does anyone know of hotels that have a shuttle to/from the airport AND school? For Pitt or any other school.

im not 21 yet, so no rental car companies will let me rent :(

how about going from airport to hotel? does anyone know of hotels that have a shuttle to/from the airport AND school? For Pitt or any other school.

Pitt's airport is a very far ride away from the city. The best way is to take the bus. The airport flyer takes you directly into Oakland where the dental school is. It also takes you to the undergrad campus, food, and hotels.

Private message me for more details. I just lived there for 4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just be mindful of the prices...there are advertisements for cars as low as $20 something/day, but that is if you are 25+. The age group 21-24 is also expensive, like the under 21 age group.

As for schools in LA, I'm debating whether or not if I should get a rental car (IF I get an interview). LA traffic and parking is crazyyyy, but I feel like taxi drivers will try to rip you off. I saw Zip cars on the USC campus though..I don't know if that would be available to us though

Just be mindful of the prices...there are advertisements for cars as low as $20 something/day, but that is if you are 25+. The age group 21-24 is also expensive, like the under 21 age group.

As for schools in LA, I'm debating whether or not if I should get a rental car (IF I get an interview). LA traffic and parking is crazyyyy, but I feel like taxi drivers will try to rip you off. I saw Zip cars on the USC campus though..I don't know if that would be available to us though

Do you have a website or contact info of this car rental place? I got an interview at LLU. I am 25+

im not 21 yet, so no rental car companies will let me rent :(

I thought the age was 25?

And if you aren't 25 but have a valid driver's license and credit card they just charge you extra?

I thought the age was 25?

And if you aren't 25 but have a valid driver's license and credit card they just charge you extra?

If you are under 25, I believe Enterprise allows you rent a car with an extra cost.

Just call the school and ask what they suggest. I'm sure they get this question all the time.

Tidbits of knowledge/opinion from someone who does lots of traveling:
Rundown of car rental policies:
<21: no can do
21-24: rent with extra fee with some companies
25+: rent without extra fee

I personally hate rental cars. It means I need to follow a map and directions for a city I don't know how to navigate while driving a car I don't know how to use. Plus worrying about damage makes me hyper and actually a worse driver. Zipcars cannot be used in multiple cities because they all have different rates. So, if you have a Zipcar "license" in, say, LA, you can't access the cars in NYC. When leaving an airport, I'm always a fan of taking a cab instead of public transit if you're not familiar with that city's mass transit system. Yes, you will pay quite a bit more, but I really like knowing that I will safely arrive at my destination without any hassle. Once you're at the hotel the concierge can help you figure out mass transit. Trust me, hotel staff is MUCH nice about this stuff than airport staff.

All JMHO, of course. Really, just ask the school.

Just call the school and ask what they suggest. I'm sure they get this question all the time.

Tidbits of knowledge/opinion from someone who does lots of traveling:
Rundown of car rental policies:
<21: no can do
21-24: rent with extra fee with some companies
25+: rent without extra fee

Good information.
:thumbup:

There are a few car companies that DO NOT charge fees for being under 25 years old, if you rent the basic cars and not like an SUV or something. But most companies DO charge that extra fee no matter what.

Anyhow, I would definitely rent a car. It's more reliable :) Bring an updated GPS.

This.
Does anyone know? Thanks

For NOVA: Rent a car.

I've been to Ft. Lauderdale/Davie several times. As long as you have a GPS (or good directions), you'll be fine. Traffic isn't crazy, and the roads are well-marked, etc.

I also heard that the cab ride is like $40 each way. :thumbdown:

For NOVA: Rent a car.

I've been to Ft. Lauderdale/Davie several times. As long as you have a GPS (or good directions), you'll be fine. Traffic isn't crazy, and the roads are well-marked, etc.

I also heard that the cab ride is like $40 each way. :thumbdown:

Rent a car? How about in my case, where I am flying to FLL the same day that I leave. I get there around 9:30AM (Interview at 11:30), I would think taxi cab would do the trick but $40 are you sure?? It's 10 mi away from airport

Rent a car? How about in my case, where I am flying to FLL the same day that I leave. I get there around 9:30AM (Interview at 11:30), I would think taxi cab would do the trick but $40 are you sure?? It's 10 mi away from airport

Why dont you call the taxi company at the airport and ask them? each company has diff rate at diff airport.

I am getting the shuttle bus from/to airport to/from hotel and to NOVA. Certain hotels provide shuttle buses.

Oh jeez; in that case, perhaps take the shuttle idea from the guy/girl above! If I was a super generous and less anxious person, I'd say I'll pick you up myself.

....Just realized I'm on my boyfriend's account. This is OCDflosser**