TBR Bio chapter 3 passage VI question 45

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tdod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Screen_Shot_2014_06_26_at_10_03_59_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2014_06_26_at_10_00_32_AM.png

relevant passage information:
Screen_Shot_2014_06_26_at_10_00_13_AM.png

My question is, if glucose concentration in the urine increases as the enzymes become saturated, then wouldn't you expect logarithmic growth (answer c)

Members don't see this ad.

No, glucose concentration in the urine does not increase as the transporters (not enzymes) become saturated. Glucose should never appear in the urine if the transporters are not saturated -- flat segment in D.

Once the transporters are saturated, though, excess glucose will be excreted according to their concentrations because the transporters can only keep up to a certain max rate -- a linear relationship in D.

Reactions: 1 user
While graph D is the "best" answer, I think this question is a bad one. D does fit the description of ~0 excretion until the saturation of the transporters. However, I think the fact that the answer choices have 2 graphs (choices) starting at 0 for glucose excretion rate and the correct answer for this question starting above 0 glucose excretion rate makes this question very confusing because you REALLY should assume there is 0 glucose excretion unless there is a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user