TBR BIO Chapter 3 Q28 and Q30

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocMC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
#28) A trypsin antagonist is present during fat metabolism. Which of the following processes will NOT occur?

A. Emulsification of fats
B. Increase in fat content in the small intestine
C. Hydrolyzation of fat deposits in the small intestine
D. Decrease in CCK production

Alright I understand why C is correct. No trypsin = no PL activation = no fat hydrolyzation. But wouldn't this also mean an increase in fat content (B, which must be correct), and therefore an INCREASE in CCK production? This means that D would also NOT occur. You have an increase in CCK.

#30) Sprue, a disorder of malabsorption in the small intestine, is characterized initially by the increase soap-like appearance of fat in the stools. Which of the following reasons could lead to this symptom?

A. Decrease in chylomicron production
B. Decrease in bile salt secretion
C. Decrease in intestinal microvilli
D. Increase in pancreatic lipase

I chose B. Why? Decrease in bile salts means no cholesterol processing, and a decrease in fat absorption. This would lead to lots of cholesterol and fat in the stool.

They say the answer is C, which is also understandable, but they don't explain why B is incorrect. I have a hard time understanding why B is not the better answer.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
#28) A trypsin antagonist is present during fat metabolism. Which of the following processes will NOT occur?

A. Emulsification of fats
B. Increase in fat content in the small intestine
C. Hydrolyzation of fat deposits in the small intestine
D. Decrease in CCK production

Alright I understand why C is correct. No trypsin = no PL activation = no fat hydrolyzation. But wouldn't this also mean an increase in fat content (B, which must be correct), and therefore an INCREASE in CCK production? This means that D would also NOT occur. You have an increase in CCK.

On this question, I think D is wrong due to the phrasing of the answer. They state it as CCK production, whereas an increase in fat content in the small intestine only stimulates CCK secretion. It's a subtle difference and a method TBR likes to employ.

#30) Sprue, a disorder of malabsorption in the small intestine, is characterized initially by the increase soap-like appearance of fat in the stools. Which of the following reasons could lead to this symptom?

A. Decrease in chylomicron production
B. Decrease in bile salt secretion
C. Decrease in intestinal microvilli
D. Increase in pancreatic lipase

I chose B. Why? Decrease in bile salts means no cholesterol processing, and a decrease in fat absorption. This would lead to lots of cholesterol and fat in the stool.

They say the answer is C, which is also understandable, but they don't explain why B is incorrect. I have a hard time understanding why B is not the better answer.

A couple things on this one. The passage states "bile salt emulsification of fat is not essential for digestion and absorption since as much as 60% of all triglycerides can be absorbed without the aid of bile salts." So, while a decrease in bile secretion would make the process more inefficient, it may not necessarily lead to the appearance of soap-like fat in the stool.

Second, TBR's reasoning for why B is incorrect hinges on the term "soap-like appearance" as well. The amphiphilliic soapy appearance is evidence that the bile salts are indeed being secreted normally, and it's the emulsification products themselves that are simply not being properly absorbed.