• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

TBR Bio Endo and Immuno Psg IX #60

erythrocyte666

Oct 10, 2014
    Answer is D; I thought it was C.
    I thought there was no direct blood transfer from mother to infant? I was thinking antibodies from mother to infant diffuse through placental barrier.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-10 at 3.29.31 AM.png
      Screen Shot 2015-01-10 at 3.29.31 AM.png
      51.7 KB · Views: 4

quicheduty

Dec 24, 2013
    1. Medical Student
      I think there usually isn't any direct blood transfer (also, antibodies aren't made yet if this is the first pregnancy), so the most likely point of blood exposure would be during birth, if bleeding occurs. If blood mixing takes place, that's when the mom would make antibodies and subsequent Rh+ babies would be in danger.

erythrocyte666

Oct 10, 2014
        I think there usually isn't any direct blood transfer (also, antibodies aren't made yet if this is the first pregnancy), so the most likely point of blood exposure would be during birth, if bleeding occurs. If blood mixing takes place, that's when the mom would make antibodies and subsequent Rh+ babies would be in danger.

ah, so the mother and infant's blood do mix but after birth; and i'm guessing this blood is the blood stuck on newborn babies and hence can still pose immune risk

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.