TBR Biochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dochopeful13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone shine some light on TBR’s Orgo 2 book? I know the main stuff out of Kaplan Biochem pretty well but I just started looking at TBR Biochem and it seems somewhat complicated. Is TBR overkill or is their Biochem pretty helpful for the MCAT?!

Members don't see this ad.

I thought that book in particular was the bible for my MCAT. It was exactly what I needed, but I had not taken biochem at the time I was studying for the MCAT. The passages I found were the closest thing to my actual MCAT of anything I used.

Reactions: 2 users
I thought that book in particular was the bible for my MCAT. It was exactly what I needed, but I had not taken biochem at the time I was studying for the MCAT. The passages I found were the closest thing to my actual MCAT of anything I used.
Thanks! That book is extremely Biochem Orgo heavy. That is tested pretty heavily on the exam??

I've been cross-referencing TBR and print-outs of Kaplan (did all of chem and orgo, now going on to biochem), and I think it's fantastic.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! That book is extremely Biochem Orgo heavy. That is tested pretty heavily on the exam??

It was the most tested material on my exam. Suffice to say it's super heavy.

I looked at everything there was for studying biochemistry (I had to, having not taken biochemistry at the time), and TBR's Organic book 2 literally blows everything else away by miles, at least based on my exam and what I needed in terms of learning the material. If you could only use one book to get ready the MCAT, that is the book everyone should choose. I would do that book twice before looking at anything else.

Reactions: 1 user
It was the most tested material on my exam. Suffice to say it's super heavy.

I looked at everything there was for studying biochemistry (I had to, having not taken biochemistry at the time), and TBR's Organic book 2 literally blows everything else away by miles, at least based on my exam and what I needed in terms of learning the material. If you could only use one book to get ready the MCAT, that is the book everyone should choose. I would do that book twice before looking at anything else.
Do you have any experience with Uworld Biochem? Would you say their content is pretty good as well?

I've been cross-referencing TBR and print-outs of Kaplan (did all of chem and orgo, now going on to biochem), and I think it's fantastic.

Did you feel TBR covered biochem in enough detail that one wouldn't need Kaplan Biochem if they ere willing to read and do all passages in the TBR Bio II and O-Chem II books? Trying to decide if I even need this Kaplan Biochem book. I plan on doing all of TBR, so Kaplan Biochem may not be for me, unless there are parts that cover what is not covered in the TBR books.