TBR bond energy confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andy96

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
On page 11 of berkeley review organic chemistry book, example 1.4, the correct answer is C "bond C is stronger than bond A, despite both sharing an sp2 and sp3 carbon, because bond C contains more highly substituted carbon"

However, on page 19,example 1.7 asks for the most stable bond, the correct answer is A,"an sp2-carbon to a primary sp3-carbon". But I think according to answer to example 1.4, "a sp2-carbon to a secondary sp3-carbon" seems more reasonable.

Any help?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
On page 11 of berkeley review organic chemistry book, example 1.4, the correct answer is C "bond C is stronger than bond A, despite both sharing an sp2 and sp3 carbon, because bond C contains more highly substituted carbon"

However, on page 19,example 1.7 asks for the most stable bond, the correct answer is A,"an sp2-carbon to a primary sp3-carbon". But I think according to answer to example 1.4, "a sp2-carbon to a secondary sp3-carbon" seems more reasonable.

Any help?
Thanks

The question on page 19 tells you to refer to a table, not to past knowledge or knowledge of a specific case. Based on the table alone, an sp2-primary sp3 bond is the most stable. On page 11 the problem is not involving a vinyl group (CH2=CH-R), it is involving a tetra-substituted alkene. The reason bond c is weaker than bond a is because if you cleaved bond a you would end up with a methyl carbocation, which is much less stable than the isopropyl carbocation you would get if you cleaved bond c.

The question on page 19 tells you to refer to a table, not to past knowledge or knowledge of a specific case. Based on the table alone, an sp2-primary sp3 bond is the most stable. On page 11 the problem is not involving a vinyl group (CH2=CH-R), it is involving a tetra-substituted alkene. The reason bond c is weaker than bond a is because if you cleaved bond a you would end up with a methyl carbocation, which is much less stable than the isopropyl carbocation you would get if you cleaved bond c.

but bond c is stronger than bond a that's what they have as answer, it said

"Bond c is stronger than bond a, despite both sharinf an sp2 and an sp3 carbon, because bond c contains the more highly substituted carbon."

My question is by looking at

H3C-C=C-R the hydrogen have a very low electron pulling tendency compare to

(H3C)2HC-C=C-R in which the two C3H have the tendency to pull electrons more which makes the C-C bond weaker and easy to dissociate (theefore less energy required to break the bond =weakerbond)
But this doesn't match my predictions. Any Help?

Any help?
Thanks

Refer back to the question. It states the correct answer is B - "Bond A is stronger than bond C, despite both sharing an sp2 hybridized and an sp3 hybridized carbon, because bond c contains the more highly substituted carbon."

Members don't see this ad :)
yah I guess alkyl groups donate electrons which makes it easy to disociate (less energy)

Any help?
Thanks

It should be noted that a substituted carbocation is more stable than a primary carbocation.
And considering we base a lot of our relative bond strengths on the stability of the reaction products, it would be easier to break a more substituted C-C bond.

I'm not exactly sure why this is in atomic terms, but perhaps extra alkyl groups donate electrons and make the bond easier to break?

The exception to this is a C=C double or triple bond, where hyperconjugation from extra alkyl groups stabilizes the pi bonds.