TBR CBT 5 PS #7 question - badly written question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyang22286

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got totally destroyed by TBR CBT #5, but anyways, I'm going over the answers right now and I came across this one:

7. It is better to use a coiled pipe instead of a reservoir tank in the condenser, because coils:
A. provide more surface area for heat loss.
B. provide more surface area for heat gain.
C. can withstand high pressure better.
D. can expand more easily under high pressure.

The answer is A, and I chose B. I understand the concept behind the question completely, but my gripe is that I read B from the point of view of the coils: the coils provide more surface area for heat gain from the reservoir, in order to cool it down. So the coils gain head, rather than they provide more surface area for the RESERVOIR to lose heat :scared:

How do you guys deal with questions such as these? Is there something that I'm totally misreading from this one? Any answers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

They really should have said that the pipes had fins or something. However, there is more outer surface area in a coiled pipe (the thickness gives it a larger diameter). Though I hear ya. Could you post the answer to #6? I picked D but the system wont show me the correct answer :( . Taking test #7 now...

They really should have said that the pipes had fins or something. However, there is more outer surface area in a coiled pipe (the thickness gives it a larger diameter). Though I hear ya. Could you post the answer to #6? I picked D but the system wont show me the correct answer :( . Taking test #7 now...

The system won't show me the correct answer either, though I chose B.

Good luck with 7, let me know how it goes haha. I'll be taking 6 tomorrow

How are TBR compared to AAMC?!
Are they much harder? Or compared to Kaplan, TPR?!
Do you guys know?!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey i was wondering too what the answer for #6 is since it wont show the explaination

Hey i was wondering too what the answer for #6 is since it wont show the explaination

Here is what shows up on my answer key:

6. D is the best answer. The heat released when steam is condensed in the condenser is dissipated through the walls of the system to the external environment and thus is wasted energy. This makes choice A an invalid statement. Both a gas and a liquid are fluids, so both are capable of flowing through the pump. The density of a liquid does not necessarily impact the ease with which it flows. The ease with which it flows depends on its viscosity, which may or may not parallel density. This eliminates choice B. The piston in the cylinder is hot from the steam, so condensing gas in a nearby chamber does not affect the temperature of the piston. The boiling point of water and the condensation temperature of steam are both 100?C, so the chambers adjacent to the piston are at 100?C. The piston is likely going to be at 100?C, so condensing the steam in the condenser does not result in a decrease in the temperature of the piston. Choice C is an invalid statement. When the vapor is condensed into a gas, the pressure in the condenser is reduced. This results in the pressure in the condenser being lower than the pressure in the piston. Because of the pressure differential between the piston chamber and the condenser, steam flows from the piston through the exhaust port and into the condenser (from a region of higher pressure to a region of lower pressure). Flow is made easier, when the exhaust gas is condensed into a liquid once inside of the condenser. The best answer is D.