Tbr cbt 8 #35

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zoner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
All of the following affect the range of a projectile launched from a cannon EXCEPT the:

A. angle of the cannon with respect to the ground.
B. kinetic energy given to the projectile as it is launched.
C. direction in which the projectile is launched.
D. momentum of the projectile as it leaves the cannon.

The answer is C, but this is sort of silly in my opinion. Direction can be same as angle of the cannon. What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

All of the following affect the range of a projectile launched from a cannon EXCEPT the:

A. angle of the cannon with respect to the ground.
B. kinetic energy given to the projectile as it is launched.
C. direction in which the projectile is launched.
D. momentum of the projectile as it leaves the cannon.

The answer is C, but this is sort of silly in my opinion. Direction can be same as angle of the cannon. What do you all think?
It is not silly...I don't see why you think direction is the same as angle. When they talk about direction in physics what usually comes to mind is vector (has nothing to do with angle). They are just saying if they shooting the canon in the direction north or south etc..., would that affect the range? Of course not.... I am assuming they neglect air resistance. Besides, this is the only answer that is obvious here. Kinetic energy (1/2 mv^2), momentum (mv) and angle the canon is launched will definitely affect the range...Therefore, "c" is the best answer.

Last edited:
It is not silly...I don't see why you think direction is the same as angle. When they talk about direction in physics what usually comes to mind is vector (has nothing to do with angle). They are just saying if they shooting the canon in the direction north or south etc..., would that affect the range? Of course not.... I am assuming they neglect air resistance. Besides, this is the only answer that is obvious here. Kinetic energy (1/2 mv^2), momentum (mv) and angle the canon is launched will definitely affect the range...Therefore, "c" is the best answer.

but the direction can be north, south, west or east or northwest, northeast, the word direction is way to vague.

if it was shot west vs. northwest, it would have longer range whn shot at nw

Last edited:
but the direction can be north, south, west or east or northwest, northeast, the word direction is way to vague.

if it was shot west vs. northwest, it would have longer range whn shot at nw

Why would it have a longer range when shot at nw? assuming there is no wind. Will the magnitude of the vectors pointing nw versus west be the same?