TBR Chem Book-II : Electrochemistry _+ Titration passage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangeblue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pg. 284
This passage seems to combine titrations with Electrochemistry. There's a regular redox reaction happening here and it's rate of reaction seems to be affecting by another side reaction of titration. Ie. Pb+2 is being taken away by Cr207 so there's less of it left to (ie. less left for reduction) .<--is this correct?

-What's being titrated here: acid/base and how does that related to Equation 1 and 2 on the page? What's a base/acid (in PbCr2O7)?
- Terminology: "higher reduction potential means" more favorable to reduce. ie. E reduction of +2 is higher than 1., or Ereduction of - 0.13 is higher than Ereduction of - 1. 00 ?

-Q. 22: Answer choice D: Cr2O7-2 Ereduction is -1.33 v. Ered of Pb+2 is -.13. Isn't Ered -.13 higher than Ered of -1.33 since -.13 is closer to 0 and other positive/higher potentials?

-Q. 26: I seem to think that answer A = C and B=D since [ concentration ] is same as ml * molarity (plus the conversion from ml to liter since M is defined as moles/liter) ....But that's not correct. What am I missing?

Q. 26.How do I know if they are talking about E obs before the equivalence point (hence use eq.1) or after the equivalence point (hence use eq 2)?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: