TBR Full Lenghts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AA|FCB|DOC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the consensus on this? Are these full lengths the closest thing to AAMC ones? I find the Kaplan ones pretty different since the PS is really hard, and the verbal isnt like AAMC ones at all.

Members don't see this ad.

i thought they were a bit different, especially the verbal reasoning section, but I used 5 of them as practice, always scoring low 30's and scoring 34-37 on AAMC tests. I would take them as practice for timing and the science sections were decent, minus a few bizarro questions here and there on each test. I ended up a with a 35 on the real thing after taking all the AAMC and TBR FL's 1-5.

I was definitely not a fan of the princeton review full lengths, i thought they were super super specific in the science sections and i was only scoring high 20's so it was killing my confidence when I knew for a fact I was capable of much more (i quit taking those ones after taking 2 practice tests)

i feel the same way about kaplan that you do about TPR. However, kaplan gives you a fluffy curve to make up for it. In my opinion though that makes it really unlike the actual MCAT. Would you mind telling me which ones out of the 5 you did were the ones you found to be better?

Members don't see this ad :)
i feel the same way about kaplan that you do about TPR. However, kaplan gives you a fluffy curve to make up for it. In my opinion though that makes it really unlike the actual MCAT. Would you mind telling me which ones out of the 5 you did were the ones you found to be better?

i took the test in april, so its been a while since ive studied and i actually dont have access to TBR tests anymore (expired on my exam date) but from what I remember the 5th test was ridiculously hard, i dont think 1-4 were all that bad, but they are just kinda different. you have to understand that going into the test, but it is still good practice in terms of timing, working with the computer based format, etc.

So the Kaplan full lengths are a waste of time?

again, I definitely wouldnt say they are a waste of time. like aria said, they can be difficult and they do give you, in my opinion, quite a generous curve, which can be misleading and give you a false sense of confidence (it sure gave me one the first time i took the test!!--->first time 28, retake 35). like the TBR tests, they are good for practicing with timing, getting used to a computer based format. I would take the kaplan tests as the first ones you start taking (i.e. 6 weeks out from test date 1 to 2 per week, and save the AAMC ones for 4 weeks out taking 2 a week up until test week and taking 3 in the 6 days prior to the test to build stamina/endurance---it is important to take the AAMC ones close to your test date because they will most accurately reflect how well you will do on the test (but there are no guarantees!!!)

also make sure you are taking your practice tests in test day conditions (quiet room, no distractions, use your breaks, dont talk to friends/family in between tests, etc)

The purpose of practice passages it to expose yourself to different types of passages you might get on test day, so I wouldn't consider Kaplan to be a waste of time.

I did TBR passage questions, AAMC FL and Kaplan FL.

So the Kaplan full lengths are a waste of time?

I would take the kaplan tests as the first ones you start taking (i.e. 6 weeks out from test date 1 to 2 per week, and save the AAMC ones for 4 weeks out taking 2 a week up until test week and taking 3 in the 6 days prior to the test to build stamina/endurance---it is important to take the AAMC ones close to your test date

:thumbup:

I have time for 1 or 2 extra non-AAMC FLs.. what should I look into? TBR/Kaplan/TPR?? I have 4 AAMCs left and 3 weeks until test day so I want to be able to take a FL every 3 days and would need an extra one to fit my schedule. So far: AAMC 3- 31 (12/10/9) AAMC 4- 35 (10/11/14) AAMC 5- 30 (10/10/10) AAMC 7- 37 (13/14/10) Kinda messed up on 3 and 5.. dunno what really went wrong though. Definitely focused much more on the test during my last FL (AAMC 7) and it paid off. Still gotta get my Bio up cause I'm a Bio major and that's embarrassing!! Hoping to hit a 36 on the real thing and expecting something like 11/12/13. EDIT: SDN won't let me format this post.. keeps condensing everything into 1 paragraph.

You want to finish all FL about 1 week before the exam date to avoid burnout and have time to review some of your weak areas.

1) All AAMC exams.
2) Probably TBR over Kaplan. But, any FL is good practice.

I don't know much about TPR FL.

I have time for 1 or 2 extra non-AAMC FLs.. what should I look into? TBR/Kaplan/TPR?? I have 4 AAMCs left and 3 weeks until test day so I want to be able to take a FL every 3 days and would need an extra one to fit my schedule. So far: AAMC 3- 31 (12/10/9) AAMC 4- 35 (10/11/14) AAMC 5- 30 (10/10/10) AAMC 7- 37 (13/14/10) Kinda messed up on 3 and 5.. dunno what really went wrong though. Definitely focused much more on the test during my last FL (AAMC 7) and it paid off. Still gotta get my Bio up cause I'm a Bio major and that's embarrassing!! Hoping to hit a 36 on the real thing and expecting something like 11/12/13. EDIT: SDN won't let me format this post.. keeps condensing everything into 1 paragraph.

You want to finish all FL about 1 week before the exam date to avoid burnout and have time to review some of your weak areas.

1) All AAMC exams.
2) Probably TBR over Kaplan. But, any FL is good practice.

I don't know much about TPR FL.

TPR full lengths are BRUTAL. huge confidence killers haha, i was getting 33-37 on AAMC and ended up w a 35 on the real thing, but was getting 27-28 on the TPR FL's. Definitely choose TBR over TPR

TPR full lengths are BRUTAL. huge confidence killers haha, i was getting 33-37 on AAMC and ended up w a 35 on the real thing, but was getting 27-28 on the TPR FL's. Definitely choose TBR over TPR

This. I took one after an AAMC exam (AAMC 3) and was hysterical thinking the AAMC grade must have just been inflated... But then, I took AAMC 4 two days after and shot up 9 points... Yeah, unrealistic and very difficult. I'm retaking and I don't even know if I'm going to use the ones I have left (6 of them) and might just suck it up and buy TBR instead.