TBR General Chemistry CHAPTER 4 PASSAGE XIII, PAGE 279

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Temper888

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I did passage XIII of BR General chemistry Chapter 4. I got only one question correct:( I cannot understand the answer explanations(from the book) as I do not understand what a3,a2,a1,b3,b2,b1 correspond to in an amino acid.If you guys did that passage,could you please provide your own answer explanations for questions attached?

It will a bigggggggggggg help:D

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• CHEMISTRY1.docx
    23.5 KB · Views: 49
  • CHEMISTRY1ans.docx
    17 KB · Views: 38
Hey Guys,

I did passage XIII of BR General chemistry Chapter 4. I got only one question correct:( I cannot understand the answer explanations(from the book) as I do not understand what a3,a2,a1,b3,b2,b1 correspond to in an amino acid.If you guys did that passage,could you please provide your own answer explanations for questions attached?

Have you taken Biochem? If not, this passage might be a tricky for you.
If you are using the same BR book I am using, go to page 251. They talk about polyprotic acid. Also, page 240 provide the relationship between Pka and PKb. This should take care of question 85 since lysine side chain group has NH3+ (Three protons that can be deprotonated). Pka1+Pkb3= 14 or Pka2+Pkb2=14 or Pka3+Pkb1=14. Therefore, the correct answer is C.

I will let other people answer the other ones

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

Reread the chapter section very slowly and carefully. It will help, it helped me.