TBR GI and Kidney Psg II Q 6

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erythrocyte666

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Answer is A.

Doesn’t mucus contain the glycoprotein mucin? Or is that not present in stomach/recycled?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-10 at 6.34.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-10 at 6.34.50 PM.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 50
When answering these types of questions you have to pick them apart and treat them for what their worth aka what concept they're trying to test. First of all your answer should be a protein and not just any protein, but one secreted by the "gut." The answer has to fulfill BOTH requirements. The super obscure glycosylated mucin you considered isn't anywhere near the gut and therefore not a good bet.

Last edited:
When answering these types of questions you have to pick them apart and treat them for what their worth aka what concept they're trying to test. First of all your answer should be a protein and not just any protein, but one secreted by the "gut." The answer has to fulfill BOTH requirements. The super obscure glycosylated mucin you considered isn't anywhere near the gut and therefore not a good bet.

Really? Don't the stomach epithelial cells secrete mucus to protect the epithelial lining from corrosion from HCl? And even if a small percent, I'm pretty sure gastric mucus contains mucin and various other glycoproteins. This mucin is literally secreted by the cells lining the gastric epithelium, as far as what I recall from my physio class.

I was actually referring to the glysosylated mucin that serves as a component of saliva. The term as it would be applied in this sense is too ubiquitous for me to deem it correct as a test taker. Unless you have irrefutable knowledge or evidence that it fulfills the requirements of the question which in this case are 3 fold: protein, gut, AND recyclable I wouldn't have chosen it.