Quantcast

TBR GI and Kidney Psg V Q 30

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erythrocyte666

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Answer is C. My reasoning for A was: decreased chylomicron production à accumulation of fatty acids inside intestinal cells à decreased diffusion of fatty acids from lumen into intestinal cells; but bile production is still normal so emulsification still occurs à excretion of soaplike fat

What’s wrong with that?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-10 at 6.59.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-10 at 6.59.58 PM.png
    64.7 KB · Views: 33

Mantis Toboggin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't chylomicrons contain the products of fats after digestive action of lipase? If this is the case then the stool wouldn't have soap like fats since those fats should've been digested.

Not quite sure on this myself, but to be honest I don't think the MCAT gets this nitty gritty

Last edited:

erythrocyte666

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't chylomicrons contain the products of fats after digestive action of lipase? If this is the case then the stool wouldn't have soap like fats since those fats should've been digested.

Not quite sure on this myself, but to be honest I don't think the MCAT gets this nitty gritty

So the appearance of fat in stool is a given. the soap like appearance is due to the fat mixing with bile because bile salts are like soap detergents that break apart large fat droplets into smaller ones. also, lipase should catalyze hydrolysis of the ester linkage to give glycerol and fatty acids, the latter of which can still appear as fat in stool. so my logic was pretty much if you can't package it into chylomicrons in the intestinal cells, then you can't export it from intestinal cell; crowding of fatty acids in cell limits further diffusion of more fatty acids into cell and hence excretion of excess fats that appear in stool.

Mantis Toboggin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the appearance of fat in stool is a given. the soap like appearance is due to the fat mixing with bile because bile salts are like soap detergents that break apart large fat droplets into smaller ones. also, lipase should catalyze hydrolysis of the ester linkage to give glycerol and fatty acids, the latter of which can still appear as fat in stool. so my logic was pretty much if you can't package it into chylomicrons in the intestinal cells, then you can't export it from intestinal cell; crowding of fatty acids in cell limits further diffusion of more fatty acids into cell and hence excretion of excess fats that appear in stool.

I talked with my uncle, a pathologist, about this, and he says that both chylomicron deficiency and micro villi dysfunction would lead to fatty/soapy stools. It is like you said, fat absorption is slowed due to improper chylomicron function, and fatty stools would appear. No doubt, some fats are absorbed, but damaging chylomicrons would lead to less fat being absorbed. I suppose micro villi being decreased would be a batter choice

I feel like chalking this up to a poorly written question then, unless someone more knowledgable has something to say