TBR OChem - Alcohol Vs. COOH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thoroughbred_Med

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
13. Which of the following would be the BEST solvent to remove an ink dye that has hydroxyl (OH) groups attached to a carbon backbone?

A. propanone
b. propanol
c. propanal
d. propanoic acid

I get that the concept tested here is like dissolves like... so I choice propanoic acid because its highly polar and could hydrogen bond and mix with hydroxyl (OH groups) very easily. However, the answer in the book is b. propanol.

the answer explanation just says that propanoic acid isn't a good answer choice because its not as volatile as propanol. What am I missing here? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

A carboxylic acid has a low pKa, so it will most likely exist in the deprotonated state in solution. So it will solubilize positively-charged molecules easily but not really neutral molecules. Charges like to pair and so the carboxylic acid will find something else to latch onto that has a positive charge.

Reactions: 1 user
i have another ochem question. if you can draw it out that would be great. its in the biology book- second book-page 79. the bond between glucose and fructose is in the

the answer is
both alpha 1--> 2
and beta 2--> 1

something about locating the anomeric carbon and seeing it from the glucose and fructose side. how can it be both?