Tbr or tpr

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigballer27

That's what she said
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i cant decide which class to take at UCLA to prep for the MCAT

also, do they both give you all the AAMC tests...cuz other than classroom teachers, what else makes on eclass better than the other?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

also, do they both give you all the AAMC tests...cuz other than classroom teachers, what else makes on eclass better than the other?

thanks

Buy your own materials.

You can get better material and 3-4 times more practice material for half the cost.

Members don't see this ad :)
I only wish I could have taken the TBR class!!

Take it!!

10+ in the sciences and supplement with EK verbal....

30+ is there as long as you can take standarized tests well....

:thumbup:

but what makes it better?

does BR give u all the aamc tests and all the same amount of materials or what?

I think you'll run into huge problems, class or no class, if you can't motivate yourself.

Anyway here's a review of BR's UCLA class: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=638172

If BR's owners, Todd and Dale, are teaching the class (they usually teach the UCLA one), take it.
You couldnt be more correct...at the end of the day if your motivation is external you will never make it. FYI Not "you " specifically but anyone...I'd never take one, but classes can be great for direction, accountability, etc etc but NOT for motivation. That fire has to be deep down inside. Good luck with TBR prep..If i had the cash, time, and thought i needed it i would take TBR. Cheers

sorry, i didnt mean motivation. more like, i need a schedule because i have so much info running through my head from my undergrad classes that i just need help organizing it and also i dont wanna take the test and then afterwards be like "how much would the class have helped me"

but what makes it better?

does BR give u all the aamc tests and all the same amount of materials or what?

yes and the materials are better in the class. Plus, their practice tests are very good prep.

Listen to us!! You can thank me later.....

Dont be :bang:

yes and the materials are better in the class. Plus, their practice tests are very good prep.

Listen to us!! You can thank me later.....

Dont be :bang:

haha ill take your word for it! i trust u guys hahaa my mcat future in your hands....:scared:

thanks

Berkeley Review by a mile. I was asking that exact same question last year about this time (right after winter quarter registration). I was actually leaning towards PR, because I was under the impression BR didn't have CBTs. It ends up they have CBTs that are really good. And their teaching is so much better than PR that I'd have chosen them just based on the teaching. The fact that the BR books and tests are better than PR was just gravy.

You ask what makes a difference besides teaching, and I think teaching is the biggest factor that is far more important that anything else. You can buy exams and books anywhere, but the one thing you can only get from a class is quality teaching. After having sat in on lectures for both classes, I found the teaching style much, much, much better at BR. What I liked is that they taught how to take the exam and gave us great strategies and tricks. Instead of giving us equations, they showed us how to use the equation to grasp the concept easier. I was able to go right from lecture and do really well on questions. I think the fact they only teach MCAT makes a huge difference in how they teach the class.

If you have the time, you should sit in on lectures for both classes. You can look at the books, but honestly I wouldn't know which was better without actually working through them completely. I just trusted people at SDN, because it seemed like everyone who had all the different books concluded the same thing: BR for physics and g chem, EK for verbal, EK for bio, and BR or EK for o chem depending on your background. After working through three different materials, that's my conclusion too.

Good luck with your choice. Having been through it and having gotten a score better than I was expecting when I first started, I'd say BR over PR in Westwood is an easy choice.

i dont know if i have the motivation to study thats the problem lol

This is good. Because if you can't study for the MCAT then you likely won't be able to study for Step 1, Step 2, etc on and on. You will eventually in this career have to "find" the motivation.

So why not start today?

Better to find out now if you have the motivation than 2 years from now in medical school where there are no courses.

Good luck! :)

Oh, and I've bought:

TPR
TBR
Kaplan
EK

pretty much have everything.

TBR is the best, except I use TPR/EK for bio (BR for the rest).

And I have all this stuff, 40 FLs (which I probably can't finish - AAMC/BR in Dec after finals - GS - Kaplan - TPR) and a massive amount of practice problems (EK 1001 series/TPR science review/Kaplan topicals). I still haven't cracked half the price of a course.

You must at some point be self reliant on the road to becoming a doctor.

Learn on your own.

sorry, i didnt mean motivation. more like, i need a schedule because i have so much info running through my head from my undergrad classes that i just need help organizing it and also i dont wanna take the test and then afterwards be like "how much would the class have helped me"

In my experience, the prep classes don't help you with scheduling your preparation. It still is a matter of studying and practicing on your own. If anything, my first go around, going to the class was a cope out for not doing enough studying. I self-studied for my retake and improved 8 points.

MCAT preparation is a matter of motivation, confidence, commitment, and practice. Use whichever prep company works best for you and addresses your weak points. IMHO TBR is the way to go, but get the self-study books.

Berkeley Review by a mile. I was asking that exact same question last year about this time (right after winter quarter registration). I was actually leaning towards PR, because I was under the impression BR didn't have CBTs. It ends up they have CBTs that are really good. And their teaching is so much better than PR that I'd have chosen them just based on the teaching. The fact that the BR books and tests are better than PR was just gravy.

You ask what makes a difference besides teaching, and I think teaching is the biggest factor that is far more important that anything else. You can buy exams and books anywhere, but the one thing you can only get from a class is quality teaching. After having sat in on lectures for both classes, I found the teaching style much, much, much better at BR. What I liked is that they taught how to take the exam and gave us great strategies and tricks. Instead of giving us equations, they showed us how to use the equation to grasp the concept easier. I was able to go right from lecture and do really well on questions. I think the fact they only teach MCAT makes a huge difference in how they teach the class.

If you have the time, you should sit in on lectures for both classes. You can look at the books, but honestly I wouldn't know which was better without actually working through them completely. I just trusted people at SDN, because it seemed like everyone who had all the different books concluded the same thing: BR for physics and g chem, EK for verbal, EK for bio, and BR or EK for o chem depending on your background. After working through three different materials, that's my conclusion too.

Good luck with your choice. Having been through it and having gotten a score better than I was expecting when I first started, I'd say BR over PR in Westwood is an easy choice.

hey thanks for your input. however, i talked to a few people, and it seems like they DO NOT give you the AAMC practice tests, which are 8 of the tests on the aamc website that are great practice. they give u 9 CBT of their own

and for the people who say dont take a class, im just worried that after the test i will walk about and think to myself "what if i DID take a class?" would i have done better? this is something i would never get over, especially if i did bad. so i know its expensive, but its a better safe than sorry approach i think for me at least. i dont think u can go wrong with taking a class, but thats just my opinion

if me and my friend get the aamc tests at 35$ a test, can we just split it and share the tests or what?